FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Ungrouping" Compound Clips in timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eddie Adams
"Ungrouping" Compound Clips in timeline
on Mar 22, 2013 at 8:09:45 pm

I'm just getting the hang of FCP X, but have a question.

Is there any way to quickly "Ungroup" a compound clip in the primary storyline? So far the best I can seem to do is to open/expand the compound clip by double clicking it, select all the clips and cut/paste it back in the primary storyline. Am I missed something here? Is there any way to group/ungroup clips in the primary storyline the same way you can do with b-roll in a secondary storyline?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

willy pimentel
Re: "Ungrouping" Compound Clips in timeline
on Mar 22, 2013 at 8:42:32 pm

Command -g should do the trick

Willy Pimentel
Motion Graphics Editor
Macbook Pro 2011 thunderbolt/ TBolt Display/ 2 SSD Hds /Lacie Tbolt

Return to posts index

Eddie Adams
on Mar 22, 2013 at 8:46:59 pm

For what? Ungrouping a compound clip, or group/ungrouping clips to "Create Storyline"? Because neither of those seem to be options on the Primary Storyline, only on secondary story lines.

Return to posts index

willy pimentel
on Mar 22, 2013 at 8:52:21 pm

My apologies: Command g creates storyline or group and command Shift g Ungroups it or Break apart Clip Items ….

Return to posts index

Eddie Adams
on Mar 22, 2013 at 9:51:54 pm

brilliant! thanks.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 23, 2013 at 2:04:53 am

An easy nemonic is to think of the G key as the GROUP key, and the modifiers roughly determine what it groups and ungroups.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Mar 24, 2013 at 9:26:24 am

Slightly off topic. But, I wish there was a way to "explode" the compound clip in place in the timeline. Make adjustments and then "implode" it again. "Ungrouping" just turns it into individual clips and then there is no easy way back to turning it into a compound clip again without reselecting everything.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 24, 2013 at 5:51:27 pm

That would surely be nice.

But the fact that the interface designers didn't put in a simple "undo-redo" function might mean that what's happening under the hood in the relational database is more complex than it may seem at first.

I remember wondering back when compound clips were introduced with their required reflection back to the Event Browser, that some users would likely try compounding things - then taking those things into new timelines and trying to RE-compound them - at at some point, you've kinda created a snake trying to eat it's own tail.

Which seldom ends up well.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 26, 2013 at 6:32:29 pm

It would be very nice. Avid has done that since I first used it in 1996.

Return to posts index

Rob Lagerstrom
on Jul 29, 2013 at 5:12:25 pm

[Brett Sherman] ""Quote""

I just tried using Cmd+shift+U to ungroup a compound clip. All I got was a system "ding". I then, for the heck of it did cmd+shft+G and it unpacked itself on the timeline (unlike clicking the ungroup icon which just opens that compound clip in a new timeline.

Return to posts index

Robert Jenkson
on Nov 26, 2015 at 2:21:45 am

In FCPX, select the grouped/compound clip and click on the "Clip" menu. Take note of "Break Apart Items" which is Shift-CMD-G.

When you select multiple clips you want to Group, you cannot use the Clip menu. Instead, right-click them and take note of "New Compound Clip..." which is OPTION-G.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]