FORUMS: list search recent posts

Performance issues with 50+ events

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Bayliss-Smith
Performance issues with 50+ events
on Mar 22, 2013 at 3:15:24 am

Will FCPX run better with 1 mega event or 50 smaller events. I'm on a MacBook Pro with 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 8GB Ram. I'm struggling at the moment a little under the strain of my news archive.

Is the next version likely to run better on my setup or am I fighting a losing battle here.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Performance issues with 50+ events
on Mar 22, 2013 at 4:07:10 am

I think the problem here is RAM. 8 isnt that much. Core2Duo probably isn't helping.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 22, 2013 at 9:01:02 am

What drives are you using?

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 22, 2013 at 12:40:14 pm

It sounds to me like you might need a media asset manager.

50 Events is the equivalent of 50 projects in fcp7, which is a lot, especially for the older hardware you're running it on.

Do you need access to all 50 at once or could you use event manager x to load only what you need at the time?

Return to posts index

James Bayliss-Smith
on Mar 22, 2013 at 12:46:25 pm

Thanks Everyone. I am running these events off a firewire 800 external. I do use event manager x, at the moment I have all the events open as I am sorting through a load of stuff. FCPX takes an age to load everything up but the real problem comes when I want to move a clip from one event to another. When I do that it has to load every single event before it copies. Once I haver loaded up all the events I can copy no problem but initially I have to wait around 10 minutes before I can move a clip successfully from one event to another. Once the initial load is done I can move clips around no worries. It's almost as if FCPX doesn't load everything up until it needs to. Can anyone explain this behaviour?

James

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Mar 22, 2013 at 1:52:56 pm

I think it is a RAM issue. * is the bare, bare bare minimum to make the program run, and so you need more to do the real heavy lifting.

I bought extra RAM from OWC and it makes a world of difference in large projects.

It scares me to think you have all that media on a FW 800 drive. Is it backed up?

David

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Mar 22, 2013 at 4:28:16 pm

I think the Firewire 800 drive is probably adding to the issue too. When working with FW I keep my loaded events to a minimum.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Mar 22, 2013 at 9:30:44 pm

I edit on a macbook pro 13" so always struggling with performance. 1 mega event is way better than lots of small events.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, and entertainment for your couch.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]