FORUMS: list search recent posts

Footage from other projects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Morache
Footage from other projects
on Mar 21, 2013 at 5:14:36 am

I sometimes use some old footage in a new project. It's easy to connect another drive and see the media in the projects on there.

I'd like to nab some footage and edit it into my project, and be able to disconnect the archive drive, meaning I've got to copy the newer footage onto my project drive. I've already edited some clips from an event in the archive drive into my project timeline.

What's the best way to do this?

Right now I have some clips in my timeline that belong to another event. If I copy the media over and take the archive drive offline, the clips go offline, and there's no way to relink them because the event is on the other drive. If I copy the clips from one event to an event on my primary drive, there is no connection between them and the clips in my timeline so I still can't relink them.

FCP7 would let me not only relink clips in my bin, but I could also relink clips in my timeline.

I suppose that anytime I want to grab a clip from an old project I could copy the clip to my current event, then edit THAT copy of the clip into my timeline. It gets frustrating and makes my head hurt.

There's probably an easy way to deal with this.

Thx.

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Eugeny Korkhin
Re: Footage from other projects
on Mar 21, 2013 at 1:42:48 pm

Hi, Mark.

[Mark Morache] "Right now I have some clips in my timeline that belong to another event. If I copy the media over and take the archive drive offline, the clips go offline, and there's no way to relink them because the event is on the other drive."

[Mark Morache] "FCP7 would let me not only relink clips in my bin, but I could also relink clips in my timeline."

No difference here. You can relink projects files the same way you relink event files.

[Mark Morache] "If I copy the clips from one event to an event on my primary drive, there is no connection between them and the clips in my timeline so I still can't relink them."

In this case, you can "Modify Event References" from the project properties in the Inspector.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Footage from other projects
on Mar 21, 2013 at 6:25:01 pm

With both events open, copy and paste the files you want into your new event. I think you should then be able to organize the event or maybe just those two files. If you don't want the whole event organized (which will turn all aliases to media into actual media by copying to the event folder) the you could of course do it at the finder level by importing them with "copy to event folder" checked.

And like the other poster said, if you are linked to an event that's offline, simply go to the project settings (cmd+j) and modify event references. It'll instantly tell you if there are files in any other mounted events. Just pick the event you'd rather reference. No bothersome searching and relinking. It already knows there are files out there that match. It's just wants your go ahead to link to them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]