FORUMS: list search recent posts

How is this done?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kannan Raghavan
How is this done?
on Mar 19, 2013 at 12:24:51 pm

Hi all. A long time FCP 7 user thinking about X as it would suit my workflow better, but only if it can do this. But I can't find info about this.
I edit a lot of sports highlights packages. I import ProRes 422 HD clips with CH 1 being full mix (with english commentary) and CH 2 is the international track. As I cut around the commentary from live feed, what I do is wherever I don't want the commentary, I make an add edit on CH 2, alt drag it (to make a copy of that segment) and paste it on CH 1 to cover the commentary around cut points. Can this be done on X? Is it as easy as in FCP 7? I work with very, very tight deadlines, so speed is of paramount importance.
Thanks in advance guys.

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: How is this done?
on Mar 19, 2013 at 2:21:13 pm

I think it much easier in FCP X as you could just turn off CH altogether in the inspector window.

David

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Mar 19, 2013 at 2:33:39 pm

Or make your cut in & out, then "v" turns off that clip letting the other track play.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.7.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.7, Motion 5.0.6, Compressor 4.0.6

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Mar 19, 2013 at 3:13:57 pm

Thanks a lot for the quick response guys.
I should have mentioned this in my OP, when I play out to tape, I need 2 tracks of audio, Full mix and Int'l. So I can't mute any part of either tracks.

Kannan Raghavan

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Mar 19, 2013 at 4:09:04 pm

In that case,

Blade the piece you want to move up then option drag it over the track you want to replace.

David

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Mar 20, 2013 at 1:03:56 am

Ok, so it's pretty much the same as in FCP 7, i.e., blading from trk 2 and copying onto trk 1.Thanks a ton for the help guys.
I have a strange feeling that I'm going to fall in love with the new maxed out iMac and X:)

Kannan Raghavan

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Mar 19, 2013 at 11:04:43 pm

If you select the clip and go to the inspector window, under "audio", you can turn the stereo pair into dual mono. The mono tracks output to both channels, so you'll just need to adjust the level if you mute one. Or if you want to have audio tracks individually separated from video, so you can blade etc, after you have turned the stereo pair into dual mono, you can select the clip, then go to "break apart clip items", then clip somewhere to deselect, click the audio only, and again "break apart clip items".
Regards

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Mar 20, 2013 at 1:08:38 am

Thanks Fabrizio, will give it a shot.

Kannan Raghavan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>