FORUMS: list search recent posts

Loading Final Cut Events and Final Cut Project Folders

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Manno
Loading Final Cut Events and Final Cut Project Folders
on Mar 17, 2013 at 12:31:46 pm

Hi everyone,

Can 'final cut events' and 'final cut project' folders only be detected by FCPX if they are off the root of a mounted drive or disk image?

I have a thunderbolt Lacie and in it off the root I have 'final cut events' and 'final cut projects' and thes eare my current working ones. All is good so far.

Now on the sam elacie drive I have a folder called 'farneze shoot completed' and in that folder I have 'final cut events and final cut projects'. In Finder, these are RED.

Now I have to work on the 'farneze' job again for an hour.

Can I get FCPX to 'see' the final cut events and final cut project files in the farneze folder? Or do I have to move them to the root of a mounted drive or disk image?

-Frankie

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Loading Final Cut Events and Final Cut Project Folders
on Mar 17, 2013 at 1:05:21 pm

Has to be in the root. You could create a DMG (sparse image, HFS+), put them in there and have writable virtual volumes that you can mount/unmount as you like.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Author/Master Instructor/Speaker/Consulting
My contact info and more

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 17, 2013 at 1:29:51 pm

Buy Event Manager X (Intelligent Assistance) to manage your Project and Event folders according to the job.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Frank Manno
on Mar 17, 2013 at 1:50:37 pm

I thought so, thanks..

So I'm guessing that the way final cut works is that once it's loading it detects all mounted drives to see if there are any event and project folders in the roots and lists them in the event library, right??

-Frank

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 17, 2013 at 2:51:42 pm

[Frank Manno] "once it's loading it detects all mounted drives to see if there are any event and project folders in the roots and lists them in the event library, right??"

Yes.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Mar 18, 2013 at 10:35:40 am

Jeff I. Greenberg's suggestion is the best way.
Working with sparse bundles allows to keep all related events and projects together and making them visible or invisible with a click without the need to know how they are related to each other.

Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Paul van Nierop
on Mar 18, 2013 at 4:30:56 pm

Hi,

You can easily do the same thing as Project Manager by creating (in root) folders called: Final Cut Events Not in Use and Final Cut Projects Not in Use. The events and projects you want FCPX to ignore, are selected and dragged with Finder into them in just over 2 seconds. You want to work on them again? Same procedure in reverse and they are back in Final Cut Events/Projects and are back in sight of FCPX. Good luck. Only, Project Manager can see drives, that FCPX can't.
Paul

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Mar 19, 2013 at 1:33:31 pm

I wouldn't recommend moving stuff manually unless you exactly know what you are doing (and what FCPX is doing). Even Event Manager X can cause trouble if event/project relations are not correct.

- Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Mar 19, 2013 at 8:52:18 pm

I find the sparse images a much more workable solution. Especially for running backups. With Event Manager X, it duplicates folders in my backup since the project or event can be in two different locations depending on what I'm currently working on.

I also like having a single file to move around if I want to take it on the road with me. And when returning, since it is one file you don't have to worry about inadvertently forgetting to copy a file back onto the system.

Backups can also be a little tricky with sparse images. As the "modified date" is simply when you last ejected the volume. So you have to be careful you are copying from the one you worked on the latest to the one that is older. You can't go by the modification date. I wish there was a backup program that actually looked into the contents of the sparse bundle and ran a synchronizing backup within it. But I haven't found one.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]