FORUMS: list search recent posts

Migrating Projects from 3 HD's onto 1 HD with all footage intact

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
shawn convey
Migrating Projects from 3 HD's onto 1 HD with all footage intact
on Mar 16, 2013 at 8:28:57 pm

Hello. I have a sticky situation that I need to rectify ASAP and with no risk of data loss.

I have my FCPX projects on my computers HD, and 2 different external HD's. This was not done on purpose… When I was just starting out with FCPX I did not understand the way that it saved files or how the Database system worked… Now that I have a much better understanding I want to get all of my projects onto my new Thunderbolt drive and organize everything before I go further down the rabbit hole.

Here are the unique issues that I have with this task.

1. Many of the files are "alias" files and I need to be sure that they all are properly transferred to the new HD.

2. I did not optimize my footage upon import (5d mark ii footage) I DO want to do that now but am not sure if I should do so before / after / or during migration AND to be honest I am not sure the best way to do it.

3. I am doing a doc in a foreign language and I have paid someone to to Voice Over Translations of all the footage…. It is Imperative that this footage does not get lost in the migration. as it is FCPX seemingly saves all of these files with a very confusing naming convention and I need to make sure the files do not get crossed or lost.

Please let me know if more info and / or screen shots would make answering this question easier.

Thanks for reading!

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: Migrating Projects from 3 HD's onto 1 HD with all footage intact
on Mar 16, 2013 at 11:37:20 pm

Have you tried File / Move Event to the thunderbolt and then File / Organize Event Files? After that, select 'optimize media' in preferences and it should create prores for everything.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Mar 17, 2013 at 5:02:04 pm

It's good that you are asking this question as I have had some, not so good, experiences even when doing absolutely everything by the book.

I'm still not sure what a best practices for this is yet, as something always seems to be leftover on previous drive or there is stuff that just does not relink.

I work with R3D media and proxies and it seems that after moving, things end up kinda all over the place.

Even when following the step by step guides.

I would say move the EVENT files to the NEW destinations first and then move the PROJECT associated with the events second.

David

Return to posts index

shawn convey
on Mar 18, 2013 at 4:34:51 pm

Hey David,
check this out...

Consolidating & Transcode Events Before Backup or Transfer

I think this answers my questions and hopefully your too!

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Mar 19, 2013 at 2:32:13 pm

[shawn convey] "Hey David,
check this out...

Consolidating & Transcode Events Before Backup or Transfer

I think this answers my questions and hopefully your too!"

Fantastic!

Except the current project is handling about 10TB of data from various disks. FCP X needs me to consolidate all of that data onto one disk.

There has to be a smarter way.

David

Return to posts index

Paul van Nierop
on Mar 18, 2013 at 4:42:44 pm

Hi,

I don't have all answers, but perhaps some. I had good experience with replacing aliases by just dragging the originals to the same folders and choose "overwrite". They replaced the aliases just fine.
Good luck, but please try it out before going for the real thing.
Paul

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 19, 2013 at 12:34:37 am

With everything mounted and online, open x. In X, Create new event on TB drive. In x, Copy clips from current events and put in new event. Organize the event. Quit and unmoving the two drives. Relaunch. In the project inspector, modify the event reference to point at the new event.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]