FORUMS: list search recent posts

metadata in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Scott
metadata in FCPX
on Mar 15, 2013 at 8:02:50 pm

more of an observation but also a bit of a potential feature shout out, let me know what you think

I have been using quite a bit of CatDV recently and can see FCPX potentially getting similar tools in the future, certainly this would make for some interesting workflows

I think FCPX needs to improve on some of the current functions:
  • roles need to be more easily editable (be able to delete once created)
  • keywords should facilite groups/types to enable easier searching or database vocabularies
  • custom metatadata fields could really do with being picklists (dropdowns) and selectable field types e.g. like catdv
  • visual GUI XML mapping tools could also be very useful
  • I am sure its been thought about but the face recognition and automation around storyboarding etc seen in imovie would be great to have in FCPX
  • the keyword tool needs to have more than the 10 fields at any one time and ideally this could be linked to the grouping of fields I am suggesting above
  • if there were to be some of these tools it would good if the software shipped with complex metadata mappings and smart collections as starting points for people to get them up and running
  • also be good to get some form of grouping for colour correction like you get with Resolve, Symphony etc

The multicam tools make me think theres some interesting thoughts going on at apple and that the current 10.0.7 version is a first step in a bigger strategy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: metadata in FCPX
on Mar 16, 2013 at 4:29:37 am

Wow. Not one of those things would be on my top 10. In fact, they wouldn't be on my list at all, and I'm humble enough to admit I don't know what half of them are. Impressive list. I think.

See I'm thinking things like less sucky keyframing. Doesn't matter much how good the metadata is if I can't get done what I want. Things like multiple event windows so I can actually see multiple bins at once. Things like scrubbing / marking IN the event viewer. Things like being able to open a timeline clip IN the event window for color matching. Things like transitions that start on / end on cut. Things like thumbnails in list view. Things like a malleable interface with custom workspaces. And maybe even an audio mixer. And hell, I'd like some tracks please. Even if it's just audio tracks.

Don't get me wrong. I like my X. But I get to complain about it's shortcomings just as much as I did with legacy.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Mar 16, 2013 at 8:18:39 am

[Bret Williams] "Things like transitions that start on / end on cut."

What do you mean by that? I think I would like that too if I understand your meaning. I'm having a heck of a time getting transitions to work without including the audio cross-fade. Here's my last post on it-
Things like transitions that start on / end on cut.

I'd like to see an option in the Inspector for each transition that allows you to turn off the default audio cross-fade with a little check box.

Dave

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 16, 2013 at 6:41:09 pm

Avid, legacy, and every other edit system including linear lets you decide if you want to apply a transition centered on the edit, or ending on the edit point, or starting on the edit point. Starting on the edit would be the most used likely. For example, I might edit a shot into the primary on a beat. I decide I want a dissolve. I don't want the dissolve to be half way done at that point, that would be off beat. But when you add it in X, it's always across the middle. So it starts too early. I then have to do some math and move the edit point forward, half the length of the dissolve. And if I change the length, I then have to change the edit point too. It's fairly ridiculous.

In legacy, v1 didn't have this either. But they added it in v2.

In regards to cross dissolve not applying to the audio, I think it won't if the track is expanded.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Mar 16, 2013 at 8:00:51 pm

Bret,

[Bret Williams] "In regards to cross dissolve not applying to the audio, I think it won't if the track is expanded."

I didn't copy and paste the link correctly in my last post. Here's the post-
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/18364

I believe it was you that suggested double-clicking to expand the audio before, but if you try to do it to both ends of the same clip, it moves the other end's audio. I'm guessing it's a bug. I do this particular edit all the time when I need to delete 10-60 seconds of talking head chatter. I sure wish I could un-check the audio portion of the transition. Other then that, I noted my workaround in the other post.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 19, 2013 at 4:45:32 am

Ill test this. But do you always drag the dissolve transition? I just press cmd+t and I've never seen the bug. But I'll try to reproduce. The bug that is. I've already got 2 kids. That's enough.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Mar 19, 2013 at 5:55:02 am

Brett,

I appreciate the offer, but take a look at this thread first-
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/18364

David Eaks already tested and found the bug and a good workaround.

[Bret Williams] "The bug that is. I've already got 2 kids. That's enough."

Good one! Me too. Boys 8 and 10. Good stuff except for the working from home which is a bit of an issue during vacation times.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]