FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best ways to zoom and scroll the timeline - Quickest way to zoom out??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Manno
Best ways to zoom and scroll the timeline - Quickest way to zoom out??
on Mar 15, 2013 at 2:10:40 pm

HI everyone... I'm using a magic mouse.

To zoom into the timeliene I just hold Z while I drag the mouse around some clips and when I let go it zooms in.. Fantastic.

But what's a quick way to zoom out again? I find I'm zooming out with ctrl - , but I'd rather use the mouse but don't know how.

To scroll left and right, I'm gesturing on the magic mouse by swiping left and right.. It's a bit dodgy and not very responsive. Can anyone suggest a better method? I don't like holding H for the hand tool either, cause half the time it defaults back to the hand tool.

Should I go buy a scroll wheel mouse and if I did, how do you scroll left and right with those?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Best ways to zoom and scroll the timeline - Quickest way to zoom out??
on Mar 15, 2013 at 4:47:44 pm

[Frank Manno] "To scroll left and right, I'm gesturing on the magic mouse by swiping left and right.. It's a bit dodgy and not very responsive.
"

It works fine on my system, even for fine scrolling, you may have a problem with the mouse or Bluetooth connection.

Try setting the mouse up again in preferences

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Mar 16, 2013 at 3:27:33 am

[Frank Manno] "But what's a quick way to zoom out again? "

Shift Z.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Author/Master Instructor/Speaker/Consulting
My contact info and more

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 16, 2013 at 3:36:33 am

Yup. Zooming and scrolling pretty much exactly same as legacy.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Mar 16, 2013 at 11:38:06 am

Frank Manno "Should I go buy a scroll wheel mouse and if I did, how do you scroll left and right with those?"

I'd say so, but I am not a fan of the Magic Mouse. The Mighty Mouse has a scroll ball, so you can scroll both horizontally and vertically. The rollerball can get gunked up over time, so keep your hands clean. I've had to disassemble and clean the rollers on my main Mighty Mouse once or twice I got it in 2008.

As Jeff said, Shift-z. It will always "zoom to fit" so everything on the timeline is in view. My favorite timeline zooming was the magic track pad pinch-to-zoom in FCP7. Hoping for it to be reimplemented in FCPX soon. If you want that feature too, please do use the menu- Final Cut Pro> Provide FCP Feedback. I heard they actually read it.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 16, 2013 at 6:44:54 pm

I used to have problems with the ball too. Until I read the manual. Turn it upside down and roll it around on a piece of clean paper. It works. I haven't had to do anything else for years.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Mar 17, 2013 at 10:31:30 am

[Bret Williams] " Turn it upside down and roll it around on a piece of clean paper. It works"

Ha! That's in the manual? I do that, but with a cloth, it does work. Until it got so bad that it didn't work. Probably a case of "an ounce of prevention..."

Anyway, I found a video showing BetterTouchTool in action, using a bunch of gestures in FCPX. Including Pinch-to-zoom, scrolling, Home/End, JKL, zoom-to-fit, frame-by-frame/jogwheel, cut, select, delete, undo, next/previous edit. Looks pretty sweet. His video has good responses and he provides the preset shown in the video as a download.

BetterTouchTool- http://www.boastr.de/

Download his BTT FCPX Preset- http://tiny.cc/BTT4FCPX

Shown in this video-

Which I found here- http://fcpx.tv/

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Mar 17, 2013 at 11:25:07 am

I downloaded BTT, installed his preset and with a brief test, its working on ML 10.8.2 and FCPX 10.0.7

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Mar 17, 2013 at 5:08:11 pm

I say go for the shortcut Z key and click and drag around the area you want to zoom in.

Option Z to zoom back out.

David

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Mar 17, 2013 at 6:37:07 pm

I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread, and it may be obvious, but for zoom in and out fine control, I use the COMMAND - and COMMAND +. Then, Shift Z when I want to zoom all the way out. I'll have to try the Option Z.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 18, 2013 at 3:29:14 pm

I've been using that for 2 years. Nice app. Can program just about any mouse or pad to do whatever you want.

I had it all programed to do all sort of stuff with 7. But I just couldn't remember all the gestures I created!

Return to posts index

Zachary Stowasser
on May 21, 2013 at 8:04:38 pm

Re: Pinch Gesture for Zoom: I also would like to see the Pinch Gesture enabled for zooming!

Thanks everyone for sharing your tips! I will be adding the Z+Drag to my work flow! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave Raftery
on Mar 20, 2013 at 7:28:36 am

[Frank Manno] "Should I go buy a scroll wheel mouse and if I did, how do you scroll left and right with those?"

You can get scroll wheel mice where the wheel tilts left and right, though I've never liked those. The Mighty Mouse is delightful for the five seconds before the wheel gunks up. I've stuck with and been happy with a Logitech MX518 (not looking forward to trying to replace it).

As far as left-right scrolling goes, hold down shift and scrolling up/down becomes left/right.

I'm not sure if the direction is altered by the natural scrolling option in 10.7 and later.

Return to posts index

Shay Carriere
on May 6, 2014 at 9:30:29 pm

On 7 my preferred zoom method was to hit the zoom tool and then click rapidly a few times to zoom in and then hold option and same thing to zoom out, but for some reason in X it refuses to let me click quickly (zooms once then stops no matter how many clicks).
Anyone else have this problem?

One other PITA for me is my logitech wheel tilt to scroll the timeline horizontally, it does this thing where it moves a bit, stops, and then accelerates into the scroll. Can't figure that one out either.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]