FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX and severe lag all of a sudden

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Bowman
FCPX and severe lag all of a sudden
on Mar 14, 2013 at 6:29:44 pm

Hi, so, I have been experiencing an irritating amount of small lag all the time, but that is a post for another thread. All of a sudden though I am getting the beach ball all the time and i am pretty screwed. The timeline only has 6 mins of stuff on it. It came when i did 3 x picture in picture using a plugin.

Any methods for releasing whatever the blockage may be?

Cheers, and apologies if this is too vague, ask questions and I shall answer if you need to know more.

Ta

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
Re: FCPX and severe lag all of a sudden
on Mar 14, 2013 at 6:37:57 pm

right, just to add: it is basically killing my machine. I just tried rendering something on it and aside from rendering at a pace more akin to a zimmer frame than even a push bike it made the rest of my mac grind to a halt. I am going to reboot again to see if that helps but for some reason FCPX is suddenly being a complete resource hog. Hmmm, I have no idea of how to get out of this and this is seriously crimping on a tight deadline as it is. Ah, the joys of software.

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Mar 14, 2013 at 7:01:15 pm

Have you done any retiming? I've had this happen and my guess was the optical flow analysis files corrupted, trashing them and the render files sped things up again.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, and entertainment for your couch.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 14, 2013 at 7:09:05 pm

[Julian Bowman] " It came when i did 3 x picture in picture using a plugin."

A stock plug in? Or a 3rd party? I'd try getting rid of the plug in if you can...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Mar 17, 2013 at 5:15:13 pm

How much RAM are you running in your machine.

FCP X loves RAM!

David

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Mar 18, 2013 at 10:38:43 am

32 gigs as it goes.

In the end I managed to create a new sequence, copy the bit that was freaking it out and delete the transition causing the issue. The issue (I believe) was a transition which moved the images off/on screen along the horizontal. I have used it elsewhere but by mistake I placed three on three stacked clips instead of three of a lights transition and it freaked the hell out of FCPX. Doing this is 7 never did so i'm guessing still a tad more work to do on FCPX.

Lost about 6 hours trying to get to the point of being able to continue, which was frustrating as hell. Everytime I would open up the timeline it would be fine until i did something such as trying to delete the transitions when it would suck up all the ram and bring the mac to a halt.

Anyway, done now.

Cheers for the help posters above though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]