transcoding

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Davison
transcoding
on Mar 14, 2013 at 1:29:41 pm

Hi All,

Im a pro Editor (20yrs) FCP and Avid.

Thought I'd give FCPX a go. Digitised a load of (tape based) DV footage using iMovie and then imported the resulting quick times into FCPX (Didn't optimise which was my big mistake). So far so good. struggled through a 30 minute edit (over 1000 dv clips) and then wanted to export to Resolve to grade. Problem is Resolve doesn't seem to play nice with the native .dv clips that iMovie created. What I need to do used to be called a media manage while transcoding media - to create a new sequence that refs the new prores files. Then export an xml to resolve and away we go.

I didn't optimize the clips on import and they all have a .dv suffix so I guess I meed to convert them. Can I do this from within FCPX (I see nice words like transcode but they don't seem to do anything) I do not want to export a flattened quicktime into resolve - I want the clips individual to round trip back to fcp x. I cant work out how to do this. If I use compressor to batch convert the files the surely fcp x wont like the new suffix when it comes to reconnecting.

Any advice?

Sean

Life on the Bleedin' Cutting Edge....

Life on the Bleedin' Cutting Edge....

http://www.twotallmen.co.uk

Return to posts index

Ben Hilton
Re: transcoding
on Apr 4, 2013 at 1:50:09 pm

Hey,
Why didn't you import your dv tapes through FCPX? When you import though FCPX, it creates a ProRes 422 mov. file. This file is just, or even more, high quality than iMovie's dv. file, and it works natively with virtually all applications. I am just wondering if there is something that I am missing, because I use DV tapes as well, and use FCPX, and they always seem to work fine with everything.
Ben

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]