FORUMS: list search recent posts

connecting a clip NOT to the primary track

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Bowman
connecting a clip NOT to the primary track
on Mar 14, 2013 at 11:23:11 am

Hi,

I want to connect a piece of music to another piece of music, so when the video is edited and shortens in length the two pieces of music remain relative to each other.

So how do I connect a piece of music to a audio clip which is not on the primary track? Google is just teasing me on this one.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: connecting a clip NOT to the primary track
on Mar 14, 2013 at 11:36:46 am

Use a secondary storyline.

Select one of the clips, hold 'g', and 'kiss' the two edges together and a secondary storyline is created.

Selecting a clip and hitting command-g also creates a secondary, after which you can add clips to it.

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Mar 14, 2013 at 4:37:02 pm

I gotta say that I struggle with this sometimes too Julian. I wish that they would let you connect a clip to a secondary storyline. It seems like a great concept. You can do like Jeremy points out and connect or transition the two clips you have by using a secondary, but what if you need the two elements overlapped? Not transitioned, but actually overlapped.

You can use a compound clip of the two audio elements this way, but you have to hop into the compound to edit (obviously) which makes it difficult to perhaps time something up to a mark in the primary. Also if you are using roles, we've found some difficulties with roles on compounds. In this case it wouldn't matter if they were both "Music".

You could compound the second audio element with a gap in front of it long enough to fill the offset of the first clip and give yourself some extra gap for trim sake. Then attach both clips at the same point. This way if you trim the end of the primary, you won't mess up the music overlapping.

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Mar 14, 2013 at 5:57:06 pm

Keith: "You can do like Jeremy points out and connect or transition the two clips you have by using a secondary, but what if you need the two elements overlapped? Not transitioned, but actually overlapped."

Audio-only clips can be expanded just like video clips in either the primary or secondary storyline (expand audio/video; or expand audio components). You then overlap them as usual.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 14, 2013 at 5:57:07 pm

[Keith Koby] "Not transitioned, but actually overlapped. "

J/L cuts work in secondary storylines, and with audio, that means overlap, like this:

overlap.png

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Mar 14, 2013 at 6:26:49 pm

Not too sure what you meant Jeremy. I didn't necessarily want to create a secondary track with the two clips butted next to each other, but rather simply wanted the overlapping audio track to remain in the same overlapping position when in deleted some of the clips in the primary track but it wouldn't do that as connected clips because they were connected at different places on the timeline.

Keith, I did make a compounded clip thing (name passes me by and am in reply mode so can't check) which was fine I guess as it meant the two move together but isn't really want I wanted. I like to visually see things rather than have them all in one compound clip and i read somewhere as you make more and more compounds they create problems... though that may not be the case anymore.

Anyway, for now, compound clips it is i guess, though seems frustrating we cannot connect clips to other clips. That obsession with the primary track is quite frustrating. Doesn't even come in Tartan.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 14, 2013 at 6:49:27 pm

Why not connect them to the same point in the Primary then? Cmd+option and click on the point in the clip where you want the connection point to move to.

But as of yet, connections are only made to the primary.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 14, 2013 at 7:10:01 pm

[Julian Bowman] "Not too sure what you meant Jeremy. I didn't necessarily want to create a secondary track with the two clips butted next to each other, but rather simply wanted the overlapping audio track to remain in the same overlapping position when in deleted some of the clips in the primary track but it wouldn't do that as connected clips because they were connected at different places on the timeline."

The tilde key allows you to move (or delete) primary clips and keep connected clips stationary.

You may have to adjust connection points, which is done with command-option-click on the connected clip.

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Mar 16, 2013 at 8:43:22 am

Yes but one piece of music started way to the right of the primary clip I would it connected to so that's doesn't help.

Upon retreading this thread I see how audio can overlap in secondaries so as a workaround that or connected offers something, but truth be told until they allow us to connect clips to clips it will be work arounds and a shirt coming. Sometimes having every clip connected to the primary track is a right pain and a hindrance,

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 16, 2013 at 8:21:04 pm

[Julian Bowman] "Yes but one piece of music started way to the right of the primary clip I would it connected to so that's doesn't help."

You can always use a gap clip as a spacer.

[Julian Bowman] " Sometimes having every clip connected to the primary track is a right pain and a hindrance,"

It takes a bit of getting used to. Connected clips aren't too much of a problem for me anymore.

Secondary storylines really do help in this case as you can group many clips to one attach point.

If you want to provide screengrabs of your particular issue, I'd be happy to help with specifics.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Mar 16, 2013 at 8:35:33 pm

Jeremy,

[Jeremy Garchow] "[Julian Bowman] "Yes but one piece of music started way to the right of the primary clip I would it connected to so that's doesn't help."

You can always use a gap clip as a spacer."

You may have just inadvertently given a good idea for a workaround for a problem I'm having here-
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/18364

Maybe what I can do is put a 15-30 frame gap clip between my two clips and add a standard dissolve on both sides of the gap clip and this way the audio can't possibly be an issue. I'll give it a try later today.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Mar 17, 2013 at 5:17:51 pm

I thikn you have to consider anchoring the audio track to a shot in the primary storyline that is not going to be deleted. If you delete other shots the audio will stay connected to the media you originally attached t too.

David

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Mar 17, 2013 at 6:23:38 pm

David,

If I understand correctly, I would need to first completely detach the audio from the video and I'm not sure I want to go there for this issue.

I have three 40 minute tutorial edits I have to do every week, so I do get lots of chances to experiment and optimize the workflow. I did an edit last night and only needed to expand the audio and place the "Flip" transition one time solely on the video and it didn't cause a problem. As I said, it's just when there are two in row that a problem is caused with the audio moving.

With the cutting in of a gap clip, I now have two viable workarounds for this issue. It should get me by until I figure out something else or Apple builds in a way to turn off the audio portion of transitions.

Thanks,
Dave

(Sorry Julian for hijacking your post.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]