FORUMS: list search recent posts

cut n paste a clip NOT onto the primary

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Bowman
cut n paste a clip NOT onto the primary
on Mar 14, 2013 at 11:04:10 am

Whenever I copy a clip say from another sequence or a different area of my timeline and want to paste it in my timeline I can only paste it into the primary track, even if the clip wasn't on the primary track when I copied it.

In 7 when you copy a clip it will paste on the same track you copied it form. X seems to force it into the primary. I rarely want this and it is causing pain having to work around this. Is there a way/ an option / a button to click to tell it to stop imposing its will upon my editing decisions? How do I tell it i want to paste in another track other than the primary one?

Cheers

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
Re: cut n paste a clip NOT onto the primary
on Mar 14, 2013 at 11:18:50 am

alt v

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Mar 14, 2013 at 4:53:02 pm

Dude - you're going to be answering other peoples questions soon.

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Mar 16, 2013 at 8:39:38 am

Ha. Unlikely. But when I read posts that are the same thing I am looking for without an answer, or even worse with "figured it out now, thanks" I find it frustrating, so given I found the answer via Google I figured I would pop it here in case someone found this thread hoping for a similar answer.

The keystroke has been nice and useful too, have to say.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Mar 16, 2013 at 12:53:01 pm

I definitely appreciate that you bothered to come back and post the answer, I will use it a lot. To copy from a primary and paste as connected I have been blading I/O points, Option-drag it up, copy, undo, undo, undo, then go paste it somewhere. Kind of ridiculous.

When you don't want to make any cuts (especially since there is no "join through edit" function) and just take a portion of a clip, the ability to both copy/paste and option-drag from a Range Selection sure would be nice.

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Mar 16, 2013 at 1:00:11 pm

Yes it was frustrating me too :)

And if by Join through edit you mean when you make a cut then you highlight the cut and hit Enter (on FCP7) and it rejoins the clip I really miss that. If you don't then I'm not sure what you mean. I am self taught so a lot of the correct terminology passes me by and I make up my own descriptions of things... usually using words like 'thingy' 'that' 'this' and 'you know, the line thing' :)

And yes, I am hoping that lots of little things that seem glaringly obvious but are missing will be added over the next update or two. Personally I would rather they spent a chunk of time making things bug free (undo returning my playhead - or 'you know that line thingy' - to the start of my timeline every time i do an undo edit is quite annoying) and adding little quality of life improvements or putting in the little things that are missing, such as your suggestion at the end of your post, or my current bugbears - +/-3 db shortcuts, forward jump 1 sec not 10 frames (and nope the + then tap in time is not the same or as easy to use, I have tried it) and connecting clips to non primary track clips... though I see loads of other good suggestions in other threads.

I hope they don't spend all their time and resources trying to add additional 'features' so the marketing department can wet another pair of knickers.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Mar 16, 2013 at 1:50:33 pm

[Julian Bowman] "if by Join through edit..."

That's exactly what I meant, but I didn't know that enter was the shortcut. I'm just pretty sure that's what the function was called if you right clicked the edit. I'm self taught as well. Or more accurately, COW taught.

[Julian Bowman] " I see loads of other good suggestions in other threads"

Same here, tons of ideas that would be great. I just hope everyone is actually telling them to Apple, directly. Its the first thing I think every time.

I'm not sure if its related to giving feedback, but I did get in on one of those Apple surveys they sent to some FCP 7 & X users a short while after the release of X. It was like they asked questions that I wanted them to know my answer to. I really felt assured that they are listening and care about making this into a great piece of software.

The morning 10.0.6 came out I felt like a kid waking up to a surprise Christmas in July. I have a feeling it wont be the only time that happens.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]