FORUMS: list search recent posts

Import settings and Proxy Files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Manno
Import settings and Proxy Files
on Mar 13, 2013 at 2:35:54 pm

Hi everyone..

I'm about to edit 90gig of footage shot on a 5D Mk II using the late 2012 fully spec'd iMac.

At the moment the footage is all ready and sitting on my Network Attached Storage Drive over a 1 Gigabit network.

What I want to do is import the media but I DONT want to 'copy the files to the final cut events folder'. I do however want to work with Proxy files so I will be checking the 'create proxy footage' checkbox.

I will be creating an events folder and project folder on to a Disk Image Sparse Bundle to work on.

Few questions are... I shouldn't have any speed issues editing this job, considering the original files are on a network drive right? These original files will only be referenced/used at render time right? Will referencing render files at render time over a gigabit network be much slower than referencing the same files locally? Considering that network speed should be fast enough or even faster than the render engine can request the files?? Does this make sence?

My second question is, once editing is completed and it's time to archive the whole job. How do I get final cut to finally copy the original footage over from my NAS to the event folders and to start using this new location for any future reference to the original files?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Import settings and Proxy Files
on Mar 13, 2013 at 4:45:02 pm

So you're going to create proxys locally, while the originals are on the network? Why not have FCP go ahead and copy the files instead? Probably about the same size, but original quality.

That solve your second problem completely.

Return to posts index

Frank Manno
on Mar 14, 2013 at 1:10:45 am

>> So you're going to create proxys locally, while the originals are >> on the network? Why not have FCP go ahead and copy the files >>instead? Probably about the same size, but original quality.

I guess you're right really..

I haven't edited native 5D Mk II files before and was just guessing that they may be sluggish to work with on my iMac?

I know that 5D Mk 3 files which I have been working with recently are smaller and due to IPB a little easier to work with.

Hence me thinking that I should use proxies for Mk II files.. Just to make my editing navigation a little more fluent.. Or am I wasting my time?

-Frank

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 14, 2013 at 2:43:37 am

My 2011 iMac screams with that same footage. Yours should perform a little better. Hooefully you gog the i7. I've tested it transcoded and not, and can find no discernable difference in performance. Scrubbing possibly shows you less frames, but playback is simple. I'm using a Pegasus raid, but its the processor doing the work.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Mar 13, 2013 at 8:09:21 pm

Given you only have 90gb of footage I can't really see the advantage of going to the extra effort of using proxy files on the Mac you have but what you want to do should work.

My advice is always to test the workflow. It doesn't take very long to bring in a handful of clips and test the workflow for yourself. Render speed on the network will depend a little on how well your router/switch/server is set up to handle jumbo frames, etc.

At the end of the edit you will want to consolidate your event library which will copy your original clips over to your event.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]