FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video only transition throws the audio out of sync (when on both ends of same clip)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Gage
Video only transition throws the audio out of sync (when on both ends of same clip)
on Mar 13, 2013 at 11:02:55 am

When I edit out a short portion of a clip and then want a transition between the two new segments, I typically don't want the audio to have a cross-fade in it, so I double-click the audio on both clips and then drag the transition to just the video portion. This works great sometimes. If I use this trick on two ends of the same clip, the first end's audio moves and goes out of sync when I adjust the second.

Is there a better way to do this? Was this bug fixed in 10.0.7 by any chance (assuming it is a bug)?

My workaround is to NOT double-click the audio tracks, but to instead drag out each end of each clip about 2-3 seconds, take the Range tool select these extra 2-3 seconds, drag down the horizontal volume line (whatever that's called) to 0dB and then pull the two ends back to where they were. So now when I add the transition to the intersection of the clips, it makes no difference if the audio gets cross-faded because the volume is zero anyway. This works fine, it's just kind of a pain.

Thanks,
Dave
FCP X 10.0.4

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
Re: Video only transition throws the audio out of sync (when on both ends of same clip)
on Mar 18, 2013 at 2:01:39 am

Based on the response to this topic, I'm must be the only one that finds this to be a problem. But, I spent another hour today messing with it and my workaround works and nothing else.

Expanding audio and adding the transition only to the video doesn't work consistently since it moves the audio. I'm back to pulling out each end of the clip for 2-3 seconds, taking the Range Tool, selecting the area and then dropping the volume down to 0 dB, putting the clip end back, doing the other clip in the same way and then adding the transition right on top of the cut (without expanding the audio).

On the bright side, I am getting much faster at the process. As I said in another thread, I sure wish you could turn off the audio cross-fade portion of the transition in the Inspector. I will send feedback to Apple.

Dave

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Video only transition throws the audio out of sync (when on both ends of same clip)
on Mar 18, 2013 at 8:51:52 am

I am seeing the bug you describe. It had been confusing me too, so I did some testing and think I got the behavior figured out. Screen recording-

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Mar 18, 2013 at 11:09:26 pm

David,

That's very helpful, thanks for going the extra mile with the video. I just finished 3 edits from last week, it starts over again on Wednesday, so I'll give it a go then. Your workaround is definitely much faster then mine. I did file a bug report on it with Apple, hopefully others will also. I may also file a complaint that not only can you not turn off the audio portion of the transition in FCPX, but you can't even turn it off in Motion. I will file another complaint about that also.

One question though on your workaround. Did you check to see that after closing the Project and program that it still worked? I had something that seem to fix it a few weeks ago, but the problem came back after re-launching the program. If you still have this test project, do you mind checking?

Also, what version of FCPX are you running?

Thanks again,
Dave

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Mar 19, 2013 at 12:30:19 pm

OS X 10.8.2 FCPX 10.0.7

Everything seems to stay just as I left it through a reboot, with either workaround (nudge audio or nudge video). I can even nudge the clip back into place then make a cut and it has that same buggy behavior again.

I'm glad we got the basic behavior of the bug figured out, but I really dont like FCPX changing our edits without telling it too. Be it just a few thousand samples or not. I've sent feedback as well.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Mar 19, 2013 at 6:37:21 pm

[David Eaks] "Everything seems to stay just as I left it through a reboot, with either workaround (nudge audio or nudge video). I can even nudge the clip back into place then make a cut and it has that same buggy behavior again."
Whew, that's good to hear.

[David Eaks] "I'm glad we got the basic behavior of the bug figured out, but I really dont like FCPX changing our edits without telling it too. Be it just a few thousand samples or not. I've sent feedback as well."
I'm sure it's a bug that hasn't been pointed out to Apple yet.

[David Eaks] "OS X 10.8.2 FCPX 10.0.7"
Okay, I'm still back on 10.6.8 and 10.0.4 and the behavior is the same. I don't know when I'll get a chance to upgrade to Mountain Lion. It doesn't fix a single thing for me and I know it will break a ton of 3rd party software that I will need to upgrade or dump completely. I suppose as soon as the next version of FCP X comes out (that I want and need) that no longer supports Snow Leopard, I will upgrade everything at that point.

Thanks again,
Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]