FORUMS: list search recent posts

Odd FCPX behavior > I'm stuck

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Anderson
Odd FCPX behavior > I'm stuck
on Mar 12, 2013 at 9:00:41 pm

Hello,

Periodically, when I try to edit in my timeline, everything begins to lag, and then I notice that when I highlight clips in the timeline, the clip is outlined in white instead of the usual yellow. Also, the indicator/pointer red line will be dull or faded. Then I won't be able to edit normally.

Does anyone know what this means, why it's happening, and how to fix it?

Sometimes, if I close out of the program, and disconnect the external hard drive, and then reboot everything, it'll be o.k. again. Other times, it goes right back to the same situation.

I'm stuck!

-Erik

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Odd FCPX behavior > I'm stuck
on Mar 13, 2013 at 12:00:05 pm

Software bugginess and RAM leaks. Relaunch FCP X. Or shut down completely and relaunch. I have also seen these occur one day (regardless of attempts to fix it) and then be fine the next. Make sure your time machine back-up is not running. Also check if you have other background processes running, like imports, analysis, rendering, etc.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Mar 13, 2013 at 8:19:47 pm

What GPU do you have? How much RAM?

I have seen weird (yet different) things happen as you described on Nvidia and Radeon GPUs. Just yesterday I needed to make sure the soundtracks were exactly the same length while zoomed in all the way, and the ends looked like a glitchy video game.

I am on a GTX 570, and although the performance boost is amazing, FCPX was designed initially with Radeons in mind.

Return to posts index

Chad Smith
on Mar 16, 2013 at 4:27:03 pm

I too am seeing odd behavior in FCPX 10.0.7 OSX 10.8.3 early 2009 mac pro Dual Quad 2.26 14gb ram nVidia GT120 and flashed nVidia GTX285 BMD HD Extreme 3 and 2 lcd Cinema displays.

If I am working in X and an email comes in and switch over to mail. (or any other app. PS etc) Respond to the client then go back to X, the event window does not come back up on my second monitor and X becomes unresponsive and have to quit and relaunch to continue working. Sometimes when I cut a new clip into the timeline I have to click on the timeline 6 or 8 times to get X to play the content in the timeline and not the source clip. Background rendering is off. I found this would not happen if I had the "show event window" open.

X also does not seem to like my BMD HD Extreme 3 card (it is not the newer 3D version) It runs smoother without feeding my external monitors. I pulled the BMD card and X seemed to run much better. Anyone else experience this?

Perhaps the only fix for this is getting an ATI graphics card? Then pull that card when I run a color session in Resolve? Seems kinda crazy. Thoughts?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Mar 13, 2013 at 9:59:27 pm

I, too, see the works one day, not so good the next behavior. In my case I think most of it relates to project unhappiness. Just today after being happy for 6 hours, everything went nuts. After Disk Warrior & Repair Permissions, I made a new project and copied the problematic one into it. Then, all was well. Another thing I'm seeing a lot is long permission repairs. With FCP7, I never saw as many lines of processing in the repair permissions window. Don't know if it's a Lion or FCPX thing.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.7.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.7, Motion 5.0.6, Compressor 4.0.6

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Mar 14, 2013 at 7:18:22 pm

[John Fishback] "Don't know if it's a Lion or FCPX thing."

Mountain Lion seems to be the best fit for X. I upgraded to Lion from SL and it was a mess for me. I downgraded until ML came out and it works much better.

But yeah, the permissions thing is a puzzler. My friend has a 12 core Mac Pro and everything FCPX related was running dog slow until doing the permissions repair.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Mar 14, 2013 at 7:47:29 pm

You're right about ML. I have it on my MBP and I have almost no problems while running it. I just started using Cocktail which seem to be an excellent maintenance program. I run it every other day on the MacPro. One of the actions it takes is repairing permissions.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.7.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Mar 14, 2013 at 8:09:10 pm

I used to use Cocktail, switched to Onyx because it's free. (I donated tho!)

Is your tower not supported by ML?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Mar 14, 2013 at 8:54:46 pm

The tower is, but it's such a job to upgrade clean and then reinstall everything that I've resisted it. If new Mac Pros come out soon, they'll come with ML. Otherwise, I'll eventually do the upgrade.

John

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Mar 14, 2013 at 8:58:47 pm

A chore indeed!

To take some of the pain away I install to a different drive and keep the old install intact until I don't need it anymore. That way I can boot backwards, or easily drag something to the new one. (not that you asked or anything, but ML is worth the trouble)

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Mar 14, 2013 at 10:02:17 pm

I do that, too. But, it's remains a pain that takes me at least a day. I've still got Leopard on a volume on the Mac Pro.

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]