FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compositing in CCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Diggs
Compositing in CCPX
on Mar 10, 2013 at 6:01:33 pm

Can someone give simple instructions or better yet, point me to a video on compositing video (as opposed to text) in FCPX?

Return to posts index

Lawrence Diggs
Re: Compositing in CCPX
on Mar 10, 2013 at 6:29:07 pm

Thanks. However, I am actually exporting animated video which does not need green screening because the background is transparent. I have searched the web using the terms "final cut pro x compositing" and the results have been a bit short. If I use those terms for FCP I get relevant hits. Am I using the wrong terms? Does FCPX now use different terms for compositing?

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Mar 10, 2013 at 6:34:21 pm

From the timeline, highlight the clip and hit shift-t. Takes you into transform mode. You can repo the image and add keyframes. The keyframe buttons are on the top left of the viewer window. You can edit those keyframes in the inspector. Remember to hit the done button on the viewer when you're, well, done!

Shift-C takes you to the crop editor. Again, all these functions can be edited in the inspector under "video."

Hope that's what you were looking for.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP

Return to posts index

Lawrence Diggs
on Mar 10, 2013 at 7:06:36 pm

Thanks again. I will try it.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Mar 10, 2013 at 8:41:05 pm

It'd help to know exactly what your trying yo do. The FCPX blend modes are in the info panel along with the transform, crop, rescale tools, alpha channel handling, etc.

Google is great, this forum is great, but there's this thing called the FCPX user manual. Search for compositing in there and you get 14 hits that cover everything from a general overview to use of blend modes.

Also, I think I'm right in saying that Ripple Training have video course called Compositing in FCPX" or something similar...

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Lawrence Diggs
on Mar 10, 2013 at 10:54:06 pm

Good point. I have gotten so used to manuals from software companies being useless that I often neglect to reverify my experiences. mean while I have found a few sources to get me started.

Now if i can just get FCPX to stop crashing long enough to follow the instructions. Seems to stay loaded for about 15 minutes then it causes the whole system to crash, necessitating a complete reboot.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 10, 2013 at 11:17:11 pm

[Lawrence Diggs] "Now if i can just get FCPX to stop crashing long enough to follow the instructions. Seems to stay loaded for about 15 minutes then it causes the whole system to crash, necessitating a complete reboot.
"

If you haven't already turn off background rendering, this can be a cause of crashes

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Lawrence Diggs
on Mar 10, 2013 at 11:19:38 pm

How do I do that?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 10, 2013 at 11:21:26 pm

It's in preferences

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Lawrence Diggs
on Mar 10, 2013 at 11:23:22 pm

Thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 10, 2013 at 11:24:51 pm

It may not be the problem but a lot of people seem to keep this off by default

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Mar 10, 2013 at 11:40:36 pm

Crashing as you describe it is not normal and most likely points to an issue with your system. I have been using FCP X since it was released and it doesn't crash any more than FCP legacy did for me which wasn't all that often.

anickt

Return to posts index

Lawrence Diggs
on Mar 10, 2013 at 11:46:03 pm

Anything is possible, but it didn't start until after I installed FCPX. I hope this is not going to start one of those "system reinstall" wild goose chases where you spend days trying to find which two of your many applications are conflicting with the new kid in town :-).

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 11, 2013 at 6:19:30 am

Since you're new to the process, here are a couple of things to keep in mind.

Since X is database driven, when you load your initial assets, X sometimes has a lot of background work to accomplish to "get ready" to work efficiently. At the same time, the creators knew that editors wanted to get to work FAST, so it works on two levels. It uses rapidly created thumbnails and proxy files to get going FAST, while it processes stuff in the background. (not just RENDERING, but transcoding and even, I suspect, some general houskeeping stuff like building it's internal asset search system.

It's VERY common for people to import stuff, blast around in the timeline and find that everything's not working perfectly - perhaps files appearing "fuzzy" or access stuff happening with a delay - only to find that after a few hours of leaving it alone, X suddenly starts working faster and easier. This is ALL contextual in that you won't have long transcoding waits if you don't import footage types that NEED transcoding, so it's not stuff that happens either always or regularly - it's stuff that happens when it NEEDS to happen. So it's hard to understand at first.

The big trap is just because you CAN work with something almost immediately - it's really easy to get fooled into thinking that you're working at X's optimal process, when in fact, you're working with a draft process.

So take a bit of time and don't expect everything to be perfect two minutes after you import 100 clips. (even if they're all in your event browser and it LOOKS like they're ready to use!)

There's a LOT going on under the hood with X. And patience is often rewarded.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Lawrence Diggs
on Mar 11, 2013 at 3:35:35 pm

Thanks Bill for that important insight. This makes me think, with so much stuff moving around in the background, it would also be a good idea to clean up permission more often as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]