FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why is FCPX so fragile?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Bowman
Why is FCPX so fragile?
on Mar 8, 2013 at 10:34:35 am

I do basically feel like I am editing with a stack of playing cards in a typhoon.

So today I had started on en edit and had a filter affecting the look on my clips. I then updated FX FActory to 10.3 (or whatever) to trial a new set of filters. Re-opened FCPX, which then rebooted itself only to make all my clips red with the ! yellow triangle. After a bit of faffing around and trying to hold my frustration in, I discovered the filter I had applied was the cause. God knows why. But I now have to delete the filter off every clip it is on and reapply it to every clip it is on.

Every time I boot X up I have a sinking feeling inside about what sort of spanner it has decided to throw into the works today.

Is increasing stress levels and blood pressure due to ambivalent coding part of Apple's philosophy of thinking different? And before they add another single feature to this software, then need to spend a whole heap of time fixing the bugger so it just works.

/rant

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
Re: Why is FCPX so fragile?
on Mar 8, 2013 at 10:39:40 am

Hmmm, it wasn't just the looks filter which was a part of FX Factory, but also another filter from a separate company that had nothing to do with FX Factory.

I do enjoy wasting time redoing stuff. Makes the whole editing process so much faster than 7.

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Mar 8, 2013 at 10:46:05 am

Ok, the second filter wasn't FCPXs fault, that was mine. I renamed a folder in my filters folder so I will hold my hand up to that. Though the complete lak of organisational tools in the filters section is insane. it was in 7 although at least there I could create a favourites tab with loads of folders in them. In X it goes where they bloody tell you it goes. Shame all the organisational elements of X aren't in the filters area, where it would be really rather useful.

I am, sadly, willing to concede the first filter may also be a similar self imposed issue as I think the upgrade of FX Factory deleted my renamed folder so I could organise the filters sensibly, though it didn't alter others.

So, though I am wrong in my rant in some ways, I shall save face and alter the direction of my rant towards the frustratingly lacking organisational tools in the filters section (not least of all being able to delete the Picture, Music and Themes buttons as they have no practical use to me and just take up real estate and processing capacity) which forces me to hack my filters folder just to find anything I want to use without having to commit names of every filter I like to memory.

/amended rant

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Mar 8, 2013 at 10:57:34 am

Right, for those that may care, it appears that FX Factory upgrade deleted the Easy Looks filters from my computer, which was a tad mean of it. I had to redownload the filters from DV Shade and reinstall at which point they were fully active including registration, so I point my finger at FX Factory this time and yell "you sir, you smell of elderberries... "

Why can't things just be made to work? And when they don't, can't we bill these companies for our time we spend dealing with their errors? I'm self employed. 30 minutes wasted on fixing things other people broke is 30 minutes of billable time :)

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Mar 8, 2013 at 10:57:57 am

Oh, and yes, having conversations with myself is perfectly normal round my way.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Mar 8, 2013 at 1:48:13 pm

[Julian Bowman] "Oh, and yes, having conversations with myself is perfectly normal round my way."

I would agree that the lack of organisational tools in the Filter section is something that needs addressing. I've discovered that it is possible to re-name the folders in the Effects section of Motion Templates so that they appear in the order of the ones I use most frequently. What I would really like is for there to be 2 Effects Sections within the FCPX interface one for video and one for audio. And it would be great if intelligent assistance were to develop a programme similar to Event Manager to organise the Effects display.

I also don't quite understand why FX Factory have such a cumbersome way of introducing new FX or updating existing ones. Each change in their portfolio of Effects requires a new download of their software. But I'm sure there will be a good reason for this.

Return to posts index

Michael Hadley
on Mar 8, 2013 at 2:24:52 pm

There are work-arounds to create your own Favorites filter folders within X, but they do add a bit of extra work.

That said, I think it's a huge plus the way you can preview a filter without have to apply and render. That is a huge time saver.

I just installed FX Factory (after holding for a long time) because I wanted to purchase Ripple Callouts (which is great, BTW). I really don't like the way FX Factory pre-installs a jillion demo effects, which I never purchase and just clutter my effects browser. I wonder if I can just delete them? Never tried.

What I do like is the third-part plug ins that FX Factory brings into their fold. A lot of good stuff there. And I've never had much of an issue with installing plugs (in the past) us FX Factory.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 8, 2013 at 2:42:37 pm

It sounds like you don't realize that you use the FX Factory app to mange which fx are on/included and which are not cluttering up the effects browser. But surely that's not the case. They make it pretty obvious. I love how that works. Kind of like Event X for effects. But alas, without the organizational tools that everyone mentions.

I've become accustomed to just typing the first letter or two of the effect name in the search field at the bottom of the effects browser. You could do that in 7 as well. Just had to press cmd+F.

Return to posts index

Michael Hadley
on Mar 8, 2013 at 3:00:32 pm

Well, by gum, thank you sir! I looked and found "Disable Trail Effects" and I am much happier. I now feel that much better about FX Factory.

Now, about the audio export to Logic and Pro Tools....

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 8, 2013 at 3:03:02 pm

[Michael Hadley] " I really don't like the way FX Factory pre-installs a jillion demo effects, which I never purchase and just clutter my effects browser. I wonder if I can just delete them?"

You can delete them I believe, but it's not terribly intuitive. I won't install FX Factory for just that reason though. Not on X, not on 7. It's a shame, because I would buy a few plugins they represent, but all the ezra stuff that gets installed isn't worth it. I can't afford the chance that some random demo plugin will bring down my NLE, nor do I wan't all the clutter, even though i can"manage" it. I get it, it's really a rights management app, which is fine.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Michael Hadley
on Mar 8, 2013 at 3:15:49 pm

Actually, thanks to Ben's prompt, I learned how simple it is to remove all the trail versions FX Factory loads into your browser. Just open up the FX app, >Actions>Disable Trial Products.

Relaunch X, and you only see those plug ins you've purchased in your effects browser (or none if you haven't purchased any).

That said, I think the FX folks would do themselves a favor by not loading a jillion effects as the default but giving the user the option in the first place.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 8, 2013 at 3:19:19 pm

[Michael Hadley] "That said, I think the FX folks would do themselves a favor by not loading a jillion effects as the default but giving the user the option in the first place."

Agreed. It's not inherently a bad app, but the default should be to *not* load all the trial stuff...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Mar 8, 2013 at 3:20:53 pm

I've tried deleting them, but FX Factory re-creates them the next time FCPX starts up. Just disable the effects as Bret suggests above.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.7.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.7, Motion 5.0.6, Compressor 4.0.6

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Niclas Bahn
on Mar 8, 2013 at 3:31:37 pm

Here's the tutorial that shows how to enable/disable products:

You can also disable all trials at once by selecting Disable Trial Products in the Actions menu of the FxFactory application.

http://www.noiseindustries.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 8, 2013 at 5:10:38 pm

You guys really need a video for this? We operate computer software for a living! It always seemed about as obvious as it gets to me.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 8, 2013 at 6:08:56 pm

Can we try not bring the "other" forum's behaviours over to this one if possible please?, "Dad's" already had to clean up that one up

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
The answer, as the OP noticed after 5 posts, is that it's NOT.
on Mar 8, 2013 at 3:53:27 pm

So, in sum - you made 5 public posts all under the banner headline promoting your snap contention that FCP-X is " fragile" when in fact, the problem wasn't X at all, but a third party package that Apple had nothing to do with.

Dear me, the sky is falling.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
Re: The answer, as the OP noticed after 5 posts, is that it's NOT.
on Mar 8, 2013 at 3:57:40 pm

Bill, you really are a dick.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Mar 8, 2013 at 4:11:47 pm

Don't worry about it Julian, it's not personal. This is the FCP X love/hate forum where neither potentially negative nor potentially positive FCP X posts/threads are allowed to go uncontested ... even if they've already worked themselves out. ;-)

Edit ... actaully I'm mistaken! This isn't that forum at all. Still ....

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 8, 2013 at 4:18:05 pm

Perhaps. But I'm also a dick who's learned that what I post in public matters. It LASTS. So I at least TRY to be accurate. And when I get things wrong, I correct them just as publically as my original misinformation.

If that me a dick, so be it. It's also probably a large part of why I was offered a Press Pass to NAB for the first time this year. Caring about accuracy in public writing actually matters to some folk.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 11, 2013 at 3:35:41 pm

Dick or no...Bill is right.

Although I'll argue that he isn't a dick. I thought so at first, but then I met the guy. He's just a defender of FCX and getting to know how IT works, and not trying to force your way of thinking onto it.

Then again, I like the dicks here. Bob Zelin is one of the best forum dicks around.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 11, 2013 at 6:21:54 pm

[Shane Ross] "Dick or no...Bill is right.

Although I'll argue that he isn't a dick. I thought so at first, but then I met the guy. He's just a defender of FCX and getting to know how IT works, and not trying to force your way of thinking onto it.

Then again, I like the dicks here. Bob Zelin is one of the best forum dicks around.
"

Classic!

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 8, 2013 at 5:14:52 pm

Damn Julian you owe me a cup of coffee. And who is gonna clean my computer screen?

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Mar 8, 2013 at 8:42:18 pm

me too!

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Mar 9, 2013 at 8:37:55 am

Having conversations with myself is part of my world too...you are not alone!

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Mar 8, 2013 at 11:14:31 pm

[Julian Bowman] "Why can't things just be made to work? And when they don't, can't we bill these companies for our time we spend dealing with their errors? I'm self employed. 30 minutes wasted on fixing things other people broke is 30 minutes of billable time :)"

Wow, that's my life too. I can't tell you how many times I've bitched and moaned to my wife about how I spend a good portion of my day and life fixing things I didn't break. This is not just software, but my website hosting company, bank, refrigerator, washing machine, router, cable box, etc., etc.

At some point I gave up, and now my life revolves around "work-arounds". I go out of my way to let things be as they may and jot down somewhere what I need to do to allow the thing to work the way it wants to. This also explains why I'm still on 10.6.8 and FCP X 10.0.4. Everything works to my satisfaction, so why screw it up with an upgrade and break other things I'm aware of and not aware of. Someday when I have a personal assistant, IT and house staff, I will consider upgrading software and other aspects of life. In the meantime, I just need to get work done to pay them silly bills.

Sorry for the rant within your rant, but I can definitely relate.

Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]