FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tips on how to better "open in angle editor"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Powell
Tips on how to better "open in angle editor"
on Mar 7, 2013 at 9:14:45 pm

When I'm cutting an actual multicam event (not apple's usage of the term, but a live event) I often reorder some of the shots in a short highlight film. I'm running into two problems that are really killing me. One thing thats really a timekiller is trying to add a stabalizer to the clip. Having to go to the angle editor is not the worst thing in the world except that the timeline indicator never lands where the clip is! And I have to go searching through possibly 2hours of footage to find one clip to stabalize.

Does anyone else run into this problem and is there a hidden way to do this properly that I'm unaware of? This reoccurs so often that its becoming a deal breaker to me.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Tips on how to better "open in angle editor"
on Mar 8, 2013 at 12:26:31 am

[David Powell] "When I'm cutting an actual multicam event (not apple's idiotic usage of the term) I often reorder..."

Well, reading the first line I said to myself "I know a bit about Multi-cam in X, maybe I can help this guy..."

Then I got to your parenthetical comment and simply lost all interest in helping.

Our words and tone have an impact on who listens to us and wants to engage.

With you, I kinda don't.

Ces't la vie.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 8, 2013 at 12:45:07 am

I'd like to know what is idiotic about their usage too. Am I missing something here? Industry leading multicam is idiotic?

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Mar 8, 2013 at 12:55:51 am

Multicam is great. I was referring to the usage of "Event". When I am cutting an actual "Event" I have to specify that I'm not referring to Apples terminology, and it's annoying. FCP's mulitcam is pretty cool w/the exception of the lack of matchframe and the problem I originally listed. I don't like to presume that there is not a solution to my problem that I am ignorant of, so I posted the question. My guess is there isn't a solution though. Its just one of those quirks I have to deal with.

I wouldn't go as far as calling it "industry leading". It is the best option if you're cutting a multi-cam dlsr shoot though, and the only option if you're mixing framerates. I'm not a fan of its syncing capabilities though. I am completely dependent on PE 3 for what I'm doing. But I really wasn't trying to critique the software. I just wanted to know if there was a way to land timeline indicator where the actual shot is in the angle editor.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 8, 2013 at 1:03:07 am

Fair enough. Here's what I have done. I simply check where I'm at with the clip skimming. Then go into the angle editor and go to that point. You can also do it by checking duration, if your whole multiclip is there. Nothing earth shattering. But it should jump to the right frame indeed. And match frame should jump to the keyword collection it came from. Bout time for an update I hope.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Mar 8, 2013 at 1:13:18 am

When you say "check where I'm at in the clip skimming" do you mean simply be aware what I'm looking for in the angle editor and go looking for it? Thats pretty much what I'm doing now. While I'm on the topic, I've noticed that when I do an "open in event" command with a multi-clip, I'm not able to play it on the source side. It's just stuck. This is with proxy view. Is that just the way it is or do I need more power or storage speed? I'm unable to play as to make a new i/o point in the event browser to overwrite.

But getting to the source clip to stabalize/add effect(like optical flow) is where it's inefficient. I've noticed that there are several instances where the timeline indicator will just jump to any random spot in the sequence when making certain trim moves. But this is the most cumbersome of those instances.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 8, 2013 at 2:36:01 pm

(sorry I replied to the wrong post in this thread. here it is again...)

No, I mean use clip skimming to view the timecode of the point in the multi cam clip you want to change, then open the angle viewer and go to that point.

Turn on clip skimming, cmd+option+G. Skim over the clip by putting the mouse cursor directly over the multicam clip. Note the timecode in the timecode window. Now open the clip in the angle editor and go to that point.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Mar 8, 2013 at 12:48:32 am

You know whats funny Bill, I was considering sending you an email to purchase your book since all the work I do on X are multi-cam cam events. But I don't want to send money to anyone who acts like such a deuche. Seriously dude, did you design and/or come up with the renaming conventions for FCPX? are you sleeping with Randy Ubilos?

If not, then I don't understand your cult-like defense of FCPX and why you take its criticisms personally. I've seen people less agitated when their own mother was insulted. I don't like the fact that I have to clarify that I'm cutting an actual event as to not confuse potential readers on terminology every time I ask a question. I find it annoying and if I'm frustrated and want to take a small shot at whoever came up with idea, then I will do so.

If I promise to name my first child Steve Jobs, and donate him as a slave at Foxconn would that make penance and merit your forgiveness and willingness to help?

Btw, Bill should FCPX ever go under and you need an Avid tip, I'll be the first to help you out. I'm not petty 10 year old behind a keyboard. Just a fellow Editor trying to contribute to the community.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 8, 2013 at 3:20:37 am

Interesting.

For a second I though I'd inadvertantly said something incredibly harsh and insulting - so I re-read what I posted...
_______
"[David Powell] "When I'm cutting an actual multicam event (not apple's idiotic usage of the term) I often reorder..."

Well, reading the first line I said to myself "I know a bit about Multi-cam in X, maybe I can help this guy..."

Then I got to your parenthetical comment and simply lost all interest in helping.

Our words and tone have an impact on who listens to us and wants to engage.

With you, I kinda don't.

Ces't la vie.
_______

[David Powell] "I've seen people less agitated when their own mother was insulted."

I don't se a SINGLE word, phrase or expressed thought that could possibly be described as "agitated"

[David Powell] "I'm not petty 10 year old behind a keyboard."

Again, I said nothing to imply that.

You (in my opinion only) took an unwarranted cheap shot at X's approach to multi-cam - using the clear and unambiguous term "idiotic" to describe its functioning.

You may have had some deep hidden inner dialog in place where you understood that you were using that as some kind of limited descriptive term - but thats NOT what you wrote - Perhaps you're stuck in a bit of cognitive dissidence and aren't connecting your actual thoughts to your writing? Worth thinking about.

And the thing is, people from all over the world read this stuff. They try to learn from what we post here.

We debate vigorously and there are a lot of differing views posted here. Which makes things interesting.

But if you expect guys like me who know better to allow you to connect the term "idiotic" to FCP-X's multi-cam abilities without challenge, you're nuts. It's not perfect, but it's a "best in class" implementation of an extremely useful feature and certainly NOT worthy of being described as idiotic.

I'll gladly forgo the $3.75 or so I'd make from another book pre-order to insure people reading this understand that.

BTW, a public thanks to the early buyers! - and I'm trying to light a fire under my copy editor to get done so I can get it finalized and into the iBookstore prior to NAB! Keep your fingers crossed.

If fact, if you do actually USE X's multicam regularly, then it's weird you think it's OK to openly admit to using a program that you consider so lame. Kinda like publicly boasting about driving a crappy car, isn't it?

Anyway, if you want a copy of Jazz at the Nash, just say so. I'll happily send you a complimentary access code. Perhaps that will help you become less angry about using it so that you no longer feel compelled to to refer to it as idiotic?

Just a thought.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Mar 8, 2013 at 3:43:16 am

Since both you and Brett misunderstood what I wrote, I'm going to take responsibility for my mis-communication. I was NOT calling the multi-cam implementation idiotic. I was calling the naming convention of the term "Event" idiotic. Specifically because everything I cut on X is an "Event" in the sense of "live multi-cam event" its particularly annoying to me that any time I have a question on a forum, I have to specify that the "event" I'm referring to isn't Apple's (here where I inserted "idiotic") event, rather the type of project (again possible confusion here) that I am editing.

If Apple had renamed tracks to "features" I would be annoyed that everytime I said "I'm working on a feature", I'd have to specify a feature length film vs a "track". Get it?

In the future, I will not let my frustration with a feature, naming convention or lack of feature bleed through my writing on this particular forum. And I'm going to edit my original post so that mis-communication on the topic doesn't continue.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 8, 2013 at 6:15:56 am

[David Powell] "If Apple had renamed tracks to "features" I would be annoyed that everytime I said "I'm working on a feature", I'd have to specify a feature length film vs a "track". Get it?

In the future, I will not let my frustration with a feature, naming convention or lack of feature bleed through my writing on this particular forum. And I'm going to edit my original post so that mis-communication on the topic doesn't continue.
"

Fair enough.

I will say that back when X was introduced, there was long, loud and somewhat anguished debate over all the new naming conventions. Storylines instead of timelines. The use of Event, Project, Keyword, et al.

None of us could undersand why they elected to re-name so many things that didn't seem to need renaming. But over time, I've come to appreciate that whether or not it was part of Apple's internal discussions - the overhall of naming conventions was, if nothing else, a powerful signal that we weren't working with the same conventions we had become accustomed to working with before.

Also, I suspect that inside Apple there was movement to syncronize terminology across toolsets and disciplines. Photo editing software, for example, often use EVENT to denote a specific happening occuring at a particular time - regardless of the Project or Client or Job ID it might otherwise be associated with.

All taxonomy is a morass of rules trying to balance being precise with being general. It's not easy to name stuff. I know that's true because my first 10 FCP-X projects are a ROYAL MESS - with Storylines linked to unknown projects, Projects pulling clips from non-related Events and half the time my not having a CLUE where stuff in my Event Libraries actually originated from.

I remember one particularly vexing time I had some test clips I shot with my iPHone at a Sade concert - they subsequently ended up in the Event Libraries of at least 4 projects for a Health Care Conglomerate. When I launch those old projects the rogue clips STILL pop up!

In fact, here's a small iPhone still I just found via a quick search of my hard drive. (Amazing concert, by the way) For quite a while, those clips popping up in Events were a stark reminders of my initial stupidity using X.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 8, 2013 at 2:34:38 pm

No, I mean use clip skimming to view the timecode of the point in the multi cam clip you want to change, then open the angle viewer and go to that point.

Turn on clip skimming, cmd+option+G. Skim over the clip by putting the mouse cursor directly over the multicam clip. Note the timecode in the timecode window. Now open the clip in the angle editor and go to that point.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]