FORUMS: list search recent posts

Relinking or updating event files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
randall wurster
Relinking or updating event files
on Mar 6, 2013 at 6:19:08 pm

Let's say you have a graphic in your sequence - a lower third or title, and it's used several times. Let's say this file is called lowerthird.png. You put it into your event, you put it into your sequence, and by default you do not tell FCPX to move all your files to its Event folder structure.

The next day, you edit lowerthird.png.

Am I correct in understanding that FCPX will not acknowledge that lowerthird.png has changed and update dynamically, as it would in FCP7? Am I also correct in understanding that even if I go to the Event window and relink lowerthird.png to the updated file of the same name, the sequence that lowerthird.png was used in will not show the updated file? Because that has been my experience so far. I must be doing something wrong. That's insane.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
Re: Relinking or updating event files
on Mar 6, 2013 at 7:03:39 pm

Yes, that is the new deal. FCPX embeds metadata in all the files, if anything changes it won't relink. Final Cut 7 is project file based, where X is a database.

In some instances you can trick it into manually relinking some file formats, as long as all the attributes are identical. This was one of the biggest hurdles in making the transition for me. I have also made the mistake of taking a timeline into After Effects without telling After Effects not to embed their own metadata. This will also stop FCPX from welcoming back the footage.

The one advantage I have found is that I no longer accidentally relink to the wrong version of a GFX element. When the client keeps changing things fast and furious, it a good safeguard.

Apple should put in a feature like Adobe's "Replace Footage". Then it can nag you about all the things wrong with it, and you can just keep a clickin' yes.

Return to posts index

randall wurster
on Mar 6, 2013 at 7:23:23 pm

[Darren Roark] "The one advantage I have found is that I no longer accidentally relink to the wrong version of a GFX element. When the client keeps changing things fast and furious, it a good safeguard. "

We'll have to agree to disagree there. This is far more dangerous to me. In FCP7, if a client wanted to change a lower third that was in a given show twelve times, I would just replace the file being used in FCP7. Done. Nothing dangerous about it. Updated in all twelve places.

Now, would I really have to go in and replace all instances of that lower third? That seems far more likely to yield mistakes. Not to mention it's a time-killer.

It's nice this isn't an issue with AfterFX (have not taken advantage of the roundtripping there, so can't speak to it, but thanks for the heads up on the potential issue there) but there are plenty of other programs we all use for GFX for FCP. So this will be a huge pain in the rear.

Agree they badly need a "replace footage" feature. Granted, the larger issue is that the entire folder structure and media management they've implemented for FCPX is completely asinine. It's maddening that they assume we can't keep track of our own media and assets.

Return to posts index

Eugeny Korkhin
Re: linking or updating event files
on Mar 6, 2013 at 7:48:19 pm

"Now, would I really have to go in and replace all instances of that lower third?"

You can relink project files the same way as you relink files in your event. Relink once and all the instances will be updated.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Mar 6, 2013 at 7:49:01 pm

Have you tried manually relinking it in the event to the new version?

Return to posts index

randall wurster
on Mar 6, 2013 at 7:51:19 pm

I have tried relinking in the event, and it hasn't been updating in the sequence...that behavior is not expected, then I take it...

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Mar 6, 2013 at 7:58:48 pm

No luck relinking project files? Yes, that's a really frustrating thing about X I don't agree with. I am an adult and should be able to override what I want.

Return to posts index

randall wurster
on Mar 6, 2013 at 8:06:36 pm

I must've been doing something wrong...it is working now as I test it out with a different file.

Not sure what was going on before, but relieved to see that is not the behavior.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Mar 6, 2013 at 9:08:58 pm

I was playing with this yesterday and to my surprise, editing a lower third png file did update across multiple projects without any linking issues. I went on to even try saving an unrelated picture over the top of the lower third png file just to make it radically different and sure enough - it updated across multiple projects just fine.

Based on experience with earlier versions of FCPX I had always assumed replacing a file would lead to a relinking nightmare.

Even if it didn't though, the workaround would be to put the graphic inside a compound clip, use the compound clip to place the lower third, then if you need to update just replace the contents of the compound clip. All projects using that compound clip will update to the new version.

~jeff k

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

randall wurster
on Mar 6, 2013 at 9:12:06 pm

Thanks for the pointer on the compound clip.

I'm not sure why I had the inconsistent behavior before, but if I replicate it, I will hopefully have learned something and update my post.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Mar 6, 2013 at 10:15:04 pm

That's a great idea for a workaround.

I think the weird relinking issues have to do with the way it handles metadata. I get things where it will say "the files share no common attributes" or something like that. I have had identical files where it will say "The older one had audio, the new one does not." Even though they are both exact copies of the same file.

I really have problems with projects I have been picking at over time that have been updated from older versions of X. I have been reconforming a documentary that has youtube downloaded clips that have either become corrupt or copied differently from drive to drive. Same thing, FCPX won't relink some of those.

It's all very strange.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]