FORUMS: list search recent posts

Precision editing within compound clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan McCormick
Precision editing within compound clips
on Mar 5, 2013 at 3:15:21 pm

Scenario:
I have a storyline with clips and compound clips and it has a music bed underneath.

After making the compound clips I want to change some "compound "clips"" so that they match the music more precisely. The problem is when I open up the compound clip the music does not play so it is pure guesswork once inside.

I tried to add markers to the CompoundClip on the main storyline but they are not passed through.

Is there a way to do this? I used to wait till the end before creating CC clips but did it as I went along this time - something I am regretting at the moment.

Alan

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Precision editing within compound clips
on Mar 5, 2013 at 3:26:58 pm

You could perhaps try un-compounding the relevant clips while you make those adjustments, then re-compounding again as necessary. Unless of course that breaks something you done globally to the compound that you have to keep intact.

Otherwise a dog is for life but a compound clip can just be for Xmas.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Alan McCormick
on Mar 5, 2013 at 3:28:52 pm

Thanks Simon, that is exactly what Tom Wolsky suggested on the Apple site - still a weird scenario though!

Alan

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 5, 2013 at 3:37:55 pm

[Alan McCormick] "still a weird scenario though!"

I think it helps to look at a compound as an ad hoc organizational convenience rather than something that's locked in stone once you've made it.

FCP X as a whole gets easier to use if one is flexible about the states of things - for example, a clip doesn't always have to stay in the Primary just because that's where you first decided to put it. It's often much better to juggle clips in and out of the Primary as needed.

I'd say compounds should be looked at in the same way - temporary groupings of clips that serve a certain purpose (perhaps only for a time) but that don't have to stay locked into that condition just because that's how you first set them up. If compounding doesn't suit your editing needs at any particular moment, then disable it - and then re-enable it when you need it again, if indeed you actually do need it again.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Alan McCormick
on Mar 5, 2013 at 3:43:43 pm

Yes, fully understand and having only used it a couple of months I am certainly flexible It is only when you actually edit in "anger" so to speak that you come across these odd things. I am sure the CC route will be more beneficial than otherwise overall. Really like it and am getting quicker and quicker - unfortunately I still do 5 forward and 3 back but it will improve :)

Thanks

Alan

Return to posts index

Mike Drew
on Mar 5, 2013 at 4:18:11 pm

Could you just select the section of music below the compound, copy the selection of music you need to edit to into the compound, make your edits and then delete the music? I'm phrasing this as a question as I haven't actually tried this.

Return to posts index

Alan McCormick
on Mar 5, 2013 at 4:32:47 pm

Thought about that one too Mike but breaking apart the compound is by far the quickest "Shift+cmd+G" then "Option+G" when done - walk in the park :)
Thanks for replying

Alan

Return to posts index

Matt Trubac
on Mar 5, 2013 at 9:55:30 pm

I could try this later, but I'm curious now...

Does breaking apart the CC and then reforming them clutter your event up with a bunch of old and extra compound clips?

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 5, 2013 at 4:35:36 pm

snap

Return to posts index

Mike Drew
on Mar 5, 2013 at 4:41:42 pm

Right, I get it now. Learn something on this forum every day!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]