FORUMS: list search recent posts

synchronising clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Bowman
synchronising clips
on Mar 3, 2013 at 11:32:44 am

So, i have DSLR video and I want to sync to my separately recorded audio. I know how to do it, by selecting the audio and the video clips at the same time and using Synchronise clips, and you know what, it pretty much works great.

Here are my issues questions based on how I organise my material in my Bins folder (Event).

I have all my rushes in folders named as I see fit, usually shoot 1 cam 1, shoot 1 audio, etc.

I drop those onto my event and they create my bins or what may be called Keyword collections I guess. So to sync a clip it appears i have to have the audio files and the video files in the same bin/keyword collection, as I cannot click a clip in my 'shoot 1 audio' bin and then go to my shoot 1 cam 1 bin and cmd select the video i want and then sync them.

So am I missing something here or if I want to sync audio and video I have to put them in the same bin/keywords collection? And if so does anyone else think this is kind of silly?

Secondly, when I am in a bin/keyword collection and I select and sync an audio and video clip it seems to place the created sync clip back in the overall Event rather than in the bin/keyword collection I am in and have chosen the clips from so I have to go back out into the overall event and hunt through all my clips to find the sync clip and pop it back in the bin I was initially in.

Again am I missing something or is this just silly too?

It generally feels like every time saving trick is packaged along with an additional handful of steps that totally negate the initial benefits.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: synchronising clips
on Mar 3, 2013 at 12:39:08 pm

[Julian Bowman] "I drop those onto my event and they create my bins or what may be called Keyword collections I guess. So to sync a clip it appears i have to have the audio files and the video files in the same bin/keyword collection, as I cannot click a clip in my 'shoot 1 audio' bin and then go to my shoot 1 cam 1 bin and cmd select the video i want and then sync them."

Can't you sync them at the event level rather than in the keyword collection and then drop them back into the relevant keyword collection when they are done? That would be slightly easier

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Mar 3, 2013 at 3:04:50 pm

Well, yes, but that means dealing with and sifting through a whole load more clips to just find the two I want and I may have hundreds in there.

Given I know you know the software well I'm guessing i'm not doing anything wrong here and it is just another feature than hasn't been fully thought out yet but may, in the future, become less cantankerous (fingers crossed) :)

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 3, 2013 at 3:07:08 pm

[Julian Bowman] "Given I know you know the software well I'm guessing i'm not doing anything wrong here and it is just another feature than hasn't been fully thought out yet but may, in the future, become less cantankerous (fingers crossed) :)
"

Help it along with another feature request!

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Mar 3, 2013 at 4:27:35 pm

You're not doing anything wrong per se. It's annoying to me that if you have two clips in a keyword collection and you choose to sync them that it drops it in the event instead of assuming that you want it in that collection as well. I would definitely send a feature request (I have). They do read and listen to them.

Now, to help you with your issue. I've found that I can solve most of these problems by using Smart Collections. When I'm initially organizing a project, I'll create a folder (that I hide later) which contains a number of smart collections and keyword collecions specifically used for organization purposes.

For example, if I'm shooting video only, and double system sound, I'll place the video and audio elements in a single keyword collection to be synched. I'll also have a smart collection which will gather any clips with both audio and video elements. It'll be empty at first, but when I sync my audio to my video, the resulting compound clip with drop right into the smart collection where I can find it without having to sift through all my other clips.

You can customize smart collections in a variety of ways, even using keywords to limit and sort what they hold. They are super handy, and I don't think enough people use them.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Mar 3, 2013 at 5:01:48 pm

"You're not doing anything wrong per se. It's annoying to me that if you have two clips in a keyword collection and you choose to sync them that it drops it in the event instead of assuming that you want it in that collection as well. I would definitely send a feature request (I have). They do read and listen to them."

Indeed. Ok, glad to hear it isn't just me. Will add it to my rather long list of feedback :)

"Now, to help you with your issue. I've found that I can solve most of these problems by using Smart Collections. When I'm initially organizing a project, I'll create a folder (that I hide later) which contains a number of smart collections and keyword collecions specifically used for organization purposes.

For example, if I'm shooting video only, and double system sound, I'll place the video and audio elements in a single keyword collection to be synched. I'll also have a smart collection which will gather any clips with both audio and video elements. It'll be empty at first, but when I sync my audio to my video, the resulting compound clip with drop right into the smart collection where I can find it without having to sift through all my other clips.

You can customize smart collections in a variety of ways, even using keywords to limit and sort what they hold. They are super handy, and I don't think enough people use them."

Ok, will look into smart collections. At the moment I create a folder for a specific shoot, ie Shoot 2. Inside I have keyword collections for cam 1 cam 2 audio go pro etc. I then create an additional for shoot 2 synced.

I then click on the shoot 2 folder to allow me to choose the clips to be synced then after i have actioned all that I go to the event overall and drop the synced clips into the shoot 2 synced keyword bin.

If smart collections can circumnavigate the hunt for the synced clips and auto dump them in a specific bin then great.

I do also find it frustrating that a synced clip that is in the process of being synced cannot be added to a keyword collection. it makes an another BIP sound and won't allow me to drag it into the keyword bin. I guess it is because it hasn't finished doing its business, but still!!! :)

Anyway, cheers for the suggestion, will explore more.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 3, 2013 at 6:06:12 pm

I just went through a very similar process and set a smart collection to look for the word "synchronized".

All synced clips show up in there and then I keyword those as needed.

I also has another smart collection that looks for audition clip types. It's too bad synchronized clips can't be collected in this manner as well, but its not an option as of yet.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Carter
on Mar 3, 2013 at 9:04:24 pm

One way I use for multi cam clips is to first create keyword collections like you did, but then assign a 'camera angle' to each group. This is in the info tab. So camera 1 is "A", camera 2 is "B" and audio is "C". Then, when you are in the root event (seeing all the clips) you can select "Group Clips By" (gear button in lower left corner of event window) and select "camera angle".

Now each angle is organized in the event window, making it easier to select the shots to create a multi cam clip. In addition, I create a new smart collection with 'clip type' set to 'multicam'. Now the new clips that I create show up there.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Carter
on Mar 3, 2013 at 9:11:34 pm

For just synced clips, you'll have to manually put them in a keyword collection...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 4, 2013 at 5:58:50 am

Why not highlight both keyword collections? People do realize you can do that dont they? i didnt see any one mention that. That's half the power of the new event keyword concept. Have to quit thinking of them as bins. They're a database. So no need to make a special collection. Just highlight the audio collection and the video collection. Although it really would be quicker if you had a lot of clips.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]