FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why can't I create a Multicam Clip?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Rabkin
Why can't I create a Multicam Clip?
on Mar 3, 2013 at 4:12:09 am

On Mountain Lion, in FCPX 10.0.7 I've imported clips from 2 camcorders, from an hour-long concert. Both camcorders shot SD video. I selected the first clip from each camcorder to create a test Multicam Clip, but in the File menu "New Multicam Clip" was disabled ("greyed out").

Camera 1 is a JVC GY-HM150U. It recorded 5 files with .mov file extension. I imported these into FCPX, and can skim these in the Event Browser and see them in the Viewer. For these clips the Inspector shows Frame Size = 720x480, Video Frame Rate = 29.97, Codecs = DV/DVCPRO - NTSC, Linear PCM, and Video Field Dominance = Progressive.

Camera 2 is a Panasonic AG-HMC80. It recorded 4 files (consecutive clips) with .AVI file extension. I imported these into FCPX, and I can skim them and view them. too. For these 4 clips, the Inspector shows the same Frame Size, Video Frame Rate, and Codecs, but Video Field Dominance = Lower First.

NOTE: When I try to open the first of these .AVI files in QuickTime Player 10.2, QuickTime displays this error message:

The document "01CT00.AVI" could not be opened. A required codec isn't available.
To see if additional software is available that will enable QuickTime Player to open the movie, click Tell Me More.

[Tell Me More] [OK]

I clicked the "Tell Me More" button, which opened a page in Safari with the title "Media formats supported by QuickTime Player"; the URL of this page is http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3775?viewlocale=en_US. According to this page, QuickTime Player does support .AVI files and it has a DV codec.

So, I have these questions:

1) With the first clip from each camcorder selected in the Event Viewer, why is File > New Multicam Clip disabled? How do I work around this?

2) Why won't QuickTimePlayer open the .AVI files?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
Re: Why can't I create a Multicam Clip?
on Mar 4, 2013 at 8:32:23 pm

Did you try transcoding the files first?

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, and entertainment for your couch.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]