FORUMS: list search recent posts

straight export from HD to IMX: possible?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fabrizio D'Agnano
straight export from HD to IMX: possible?
on Feb 28, 2013 at 10:01:36 pm

Hello.
I shoot and edit HD 1080i footage. When the editing is done, I deliver an IMX file. It seems I can't export the IMX from the HD project, as I can't see the option. So I first export a ProRes file then lay it on a Pal SD anamorphic project timeline. Now I get the IMX export option. Is there a way I am missing to export straight from the HD 1080i project to IMX? Sending to Compressor, as I wrote in another post, only produces 4:3 letterbox or compressed aspect, I couldn't get a 16:9 aspect so far, like I get from FCPX, and both would be rejected, so it's not an option.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: straight export from HD to IMX: possible?
on Mar 1, 2013 at 12:23:11 am

There is no such thing as a square pixel 16:9 SD movie for IMX.

You need a 4x3 anamorphic IMX movie and compressor is the way to do it in one step. Your anamorphicovie should not get rejected if that is what the station is calling for.

European broadcasters are much better about anamorphic than US broadcasters are in my experience.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Mar 1, 2013 at 8:30:33 am

Jeremy,
I am not looking for a square pixel IMX, but for an anamorphic IMX coming from a Compressor setting that shows 16:9 when played. I already launched a post about the aspect ratio ( http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/344/17979 ), I hope this is not cross-posting (this was more about exporting IMX in one step). So far, the channel I work for accepted the 16:9 IMX coming from FCPX. If I play that clip in QT, it's no doubt 16:9, no letterboxing. I tried to send to compressor, and I only get a letterboxed image, or a 4:3 image that looks obviously compressed. I never got a 16:9 that plays and shows 16:9 as the one coming from FCPX, so I guess there's something I am missing among the Compressor settings.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 1, 2013 at 3:26:31 pm

Most likely Compressor isn't setting the anamorphic flag correctly.

You can use QTEdit to set a PAL Anamorphic flag in the movie.

Like this:

pal_anamorphic.png

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Mar 1, 2013 at 10:57:22 pm

Thanks Jeremy.
I never used QTedit so far, I'll download it and try if it works.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Mar 1, 2013 at 4:57:53 pm

Hi Fabrizio
You could consider just temporarily switching your Project Setting from 1080i to PAL SD (Anamorphic) ... or duplicating your project first and then switching the duplicate ... and then exporting direct to IMX. It might potentially be more convenient than an unwanted export import shuffle.
Hope it helps
Andy

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Mar 1, 2013 at 10:55:32 pm

Thanks Andy.
Yours looks like a good solution. I'll try to see tomorrow if the render files are kept in case I switch the setting back to 1080i and to PAL SD anamorphic again the renfiles are kept. That would be nice if my client asks for some change.
Regards

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]