FORUMS: list search recent posts

dvd burning

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Hilton
dvd burning
on Feb 28, 2013 at 7:08:50 pm

Hey,
I am new to posting on forums, but I will give it a try. Does anyone have a suggestion for professional Dvd burning software? I am a FCPX editor, and since Apple got rid of dvd studio pro when they switched from FCP7, what are my options as far as dvd burning? I have used adobe encore in the past, but you can only buy it with Premier pro, which is really expensive! So I am wondering, what do FCPX users do? there has to be other options out there.
Any help will be much appreciated...
Thanks,
Ben

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: dvd burning
on Feb 28, 2013 at 9:20:59 pm

I'm hoping someone will have a good answer to this. Personally, I've fallen back to an old favourite of mine from before I switched to macs - Sony DVD Architect running under Parallels. The 'home' version is cheap but effective, and the professional version has features that rival DVD Studio Pro.

I'd love to find a good Mac native app though. I have Encore but as far as I can see it's nowhere near as capable of the advanced authoring I need as DVD Studio or DVD Architect are.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 1, 2013 at 5:43:14 am

So what do you need that's beyond what X's internal DVD burner can do? It can do basic functional chapters and is fine for "one-offs" for die hard DVDers.

VOP (video on plastic - tape or disk) is dying fast. The moment you figure out your move from plastic based to file based video workflow, anything else rapidly starts to seem like a HUGE step backwards.

If you think about it, sooner or later, your target market will just be homes with a DVD player but NO computer with any decent hard disk storage on the property. Because a Venn diagram of those who A - might want to spend money for a custom authored DVD and B - don't have access to a computer with a hard drive, is already pretty small and shrinking pretty fast.

If you're still working with clients that MUST have DVDs to be happy - or are otherwise stuck needing to do fancy authoring inside a technology that's two decades old - just snag a copy of DVD Studio pro off Ebay or Craigs List. It still works fine even if eventually, you'll probably have to boot up in an older OS.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Mar 1, 2013 at 7:17:34 am

This is probably getting off topic for the original poster but while I agree that DVD's and their ilk are a royal pain, I'm not sure what the alternative is if you need to deliver multiple copies of a project in a guaranteed playable by everybody format.

Here's an example from a year or so ago. The client would have been very happy to go with digital delivery but as far as i could see there wasn't, and still isn't, any digital standard to achieve the same thing other than DVD.

Five hundred copies had to be delivered in a guaranteed universally playable format. The video had to have audio tracks in multiple languages and subtitle tracks that could be switched on or off and remember the current subtitle & language state as the user skipped from title to title - It also had to do it's best to guess the primary language of the viewer when they hit play.

The target audience had mental and physical disabilities so the delivery medium had to be plug & play simple and not require any reading skill or great degree of motor skill to achieve.

I hit the brief with a DVD authored in DVD Studio Pro but I'd love to know what the digital-only alternative would be.

DVD may be old but it ain't dead yet...

http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Ben Hilton
on Mar 1, 2013 at 2:22:40 pm

The quality of the dvd produced through final cut, is low compared to the superior results that can be produced through compressor. So I guess to answer your question, I need a program that can except mv2 files, (the export out of compressor) and ac3 dolby Digital files. Also advanced menu editing, is a must.
Thanks,
Ben

Return to posts index

Anne Kostalas
on Aug 29, 2013 at 12:06:11 am

Hello Bill
I'm really interested in the idea that DVDs are old technology. I wish my clients thought so too. Any ideas on how to persuade them they don't need DVDs?
If my client wants to share my videos with people inside their organisation or with customers what should I suggest they do instead?
I guess I don't really understand what the alternative is. Would appreciate your thoughts because if I never have to burn another DVD I would be very happy.
Cheers,
Anne

Freelance journalist and videographer in Montreal.

Return to posts index

Ben Hilton
on Mar 1, 2013 at 2:17:58 pm

Thanks for your help, I have used dvd architect in the past and had great success with it, I have not thought about running it through Parallels though. Does Parallels have enough power to perform successfully on a i5 macbook pro with 8 gigs of ram? If so, what operating system would you run through it, windows 8, or 7? Thank you so much,
Ben

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Mar 2, 2013 at 9:05:34 am

DVD architect doesn't need a whole lot of grunt to run. An i5, even with the overhead of Parallels is way more than it needs. I'm running it on an i5 iMac with 8gb RAM so I'd say you shouldn't have any troubles.

For what it's worth Sony Vegas runs under the same VM as well and is still very useable. Vegas is still my preferred app for multi-track audio finishing at the end of an edit.

I'm running DVDA under Windows 7 and it seems happy enough. Haven't ventured into the world of Windows 8 yet.

Cheers,
Jeff K

Return to posts index

Bill Rabkin
on Mar 3, 2013 at 4:34:02 am

As a volunteer, I shoot monthly hour-long concerts at my public library. I deliver the end result to the library on DVDs (one for the Main Library in my town, one for the Branch Library). The Library adds these recordings to their collection, and library patrons borrow them to enjoy at home.

As "unprofessional" as it might seem, I use iDVD to create most of my DVDs. iDVD lets me apply a theme to the DVD menus; add background music to them; display a thumbnail clip (either motion or still frame) for each Chapter; add additional text such as the performer names and performance date, set type fonts, sizes and colors; etc. I don't believe that FCPX "Share DVD" provides these facilities.

Recently, I purchased a new iMac that came with Mountain Lion installed, and Mountain Lion no longer includes iDVD in iLife. I purchased a copy of iLife '11 on eBay and installed it in Mountain Lion. So far, it seems to run fine. (However, installing it overwrote Garage Band, iPhoto, and iMovie with earlier versions that don't work in Mountain Lion, so if I ever need any of these I'll need to purchase the current version from the App Store.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]