FORUMS: list search recent posts

4K workflows in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Tinsley
4K workflows in FCPX
on Feb 27, 2013 at 8:51:50 pm

I may have a 4k edit job in the next few months. I'm running FCPX on an iMac(Mid 2011, i7, 16 gigs ram). Am I a bit presumptuous in thinking that with a proper raid array upgrade I can do this edit? Currently the only external storage I have is FW800 single drives. Here's what I'm thinking:

1. Get a Thunderbolt Pegasus Raid Array.
2. Create the Event on the array.
3. Import the 4k footage to the event.
4. Transcode to proxy or optimized media.
5. Setup my sequences carefully for 4k.
6. Edit away!

Some other info. We're talking 4k from a Canon C500 with an external recorder(don't know which recorder). These recorders seem to be able to record in a variety of formats including ProRes4444 and RAW. Let's assume it's RAW which is the biggest data hog.

So what do you think? Also, when I export I assume that the original clips are used in the final product, correct? Thanks in advance!

Nate

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: 4K workflows in FCPX
on Feb 27, 2013 at 9:27:44 pm

I'm not sure of the precise issues with the C500. This may be dependent on a plug-in that may or may not yet exist. I have tested workflows with RED. It goes like this for staying inside FCP X all the way:

1. Import the RED raw media.
2. Adjust metadata settings as needed for raw files.
3. Transcode to proxy and set prefs to use proxy media. This will be 1/2 size (i.e. 2K), ProRes Proxy codec.
4. Ahead normally. Performance will be fast with basic RAID array.
5. Switch to Original media and render your export.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Nathan Tinsley
on Feb 27, 2013 at 9:33:59 pm

Hi Oliver,

Glad to see I wasn't far off! So the playback prefs need to be switched back to original media before export huh? I would have missed that. I thought that was automatic so I'm glad I asked! Thanks!

Have you had any experience with a Pegasus Thunderbolt Raid or are you running traditional PCI card raids? It's so hard to know which raid is best but all I've really got to work with is Thunderbolt.

Nate

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 27, 2013 at 10:49:35 pm

[Nathan Tinsley] "So the playback prefs need to be switched back to original media before export huh? I would have missed that."

Yes. Otherwise it continues to use the proxies. Remember, you could also be exporting a review copy from the proxies, so I guess that's why it isn't automatic.

[Nathan Tinsley] "Have you had any experience with a Pegasus Thunderbolt Raid or are you running traditional PCI card raids? "

I know people running this drive with iMacs who are very happy with the performance. I personally haven't tested it with 4K files. My own testing is with two internal drives striped RAID-0. Proxies are very fine in that situation. Native 4K (REDCODE) is very sluggish. That's usually a function of decoding the codec and not the size. For instance, you could run uncompressed or ProResHQ 4K files on an 8 or 10-drive RAID-5 array connected via SATA or FibreChannel and have very good performance.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 27, 2013 at 10:56:50 pm

[Nathan Tinsley] "I'm running FCPX on an iMac(Mid 2011, i7, 16 gigs ram). Am I a bit presumptuous in thinking that with a proper raid array upgrade I can do this edit?"

Handling Raw media at 4K requires a massive amount of GPU processing not available in the iMac, that being said FCPX can and does handle 4K content ( even 4K HFR up to 60P) as long as your machine is not doing the heavy lifting.

I have worked with both RED and f65 Raw files on my retina laptop. (i7 +16G Ram) with little issue once I had converted the content to PRHQ for editing, I would NOT recommend working directly in Raw if at all possible.

I would warn you that one single Pegasus array may not have enough available space for a full 4K edit. my HFR project filled 2 of them for a 3 minute deliverable after all of the media and converted files were executed.

How are you planning on Monitoring?

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

Nathan Tinsley
on Feb 28, 2013 at 1:51:25 am

Gentlemen Both,
This info is just pure gold to someone like me so first of all THANK YOU!

Gary the info on the storage requirements is also very helpful and I will keep that in mind. I was thinking of monitoring with my second monitor using Thunderbot to DVI. Then I put the Viewer on the second display. Not perfect but does work. Should I be considering the Black Magic Intensity Extreme?

Thanks,

nate

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 28, 2013 at 2:50:38 pm

[Nathan Tinsley] "Should I be considering the Black Magic Intensity Extreme?"

I see no sense whatsoever in getting a 1080 only playback device for a 4K workflow.

As far as I know the only device that is supporting 4K workflows over Thunderbolt is BMD's UltraStudio 4K model, but I have not had a chance to test any BMD products in quite awhile so I am not sure what the status of that product's development is.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

Nathan Tinsley
on Feb 28, 2013 at 11:32:29 pm

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the info. The edit may not require 4k monitoring per se. The footage will be a mix of 2k and 4k material from Canon C300's and C500's. It's hard to say if there will be any grading. So for now I will have to stick with 1080i monitoring. Again, many thanks!

Nate

NT

Return to posts index

Jeff Piotrowski
on Mar 25, 2013 at 2:32:19 am

I have the new IMAC with the 680mx video chip,set and 36g ram and the 18TB Peg raid 5.

This box screams in the 2-5k work flow using FCP editing Epic 5K files in 1/2 res. fast renders about 1/1 time wise about one minute render time for every one minute of final output.

Jeff Piotrowski
Storm Productions Inc.
Office:918.376.9300
Cell: 918.906.0427

Return to posts index

chris king
on Oct 28, 2015 at 8:21:57 am

Although FCP-X(FCP X 10.1.) supports some 4K videos( 4K ProRes, Sony XAVC and REDCODE RAW), while old version FCP X like many editors use 1080p as primary delivery format and will continue to do so for a long time. If you want to have a smooth 4K video and FCP X workflow, you are advised to convert 4K video to ProRes in proper settings(1080p) for further editing in FCPX.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Oct 28, 2015 at 10:37:50 am

[chris king] "If you want to have a smooth 4K video and FCP X workflow, you are advised to convert 4K video to ProRes in proper settings(1080p) for further editing in FCPX."

Commercial conversion utilities like the one you referenced from Brorsoft are not needed to convert 4k video for editing in FCP X. My group has many different 4k cameras and FCP X 10.2.2 is capable of importing those and transcoding as needed -- all by itself.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]