FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting video with 4:2:2 colourspace (like broadcast)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Smith
Exporting video with 4:2:2 colourspace (like broadcast)
on Feb 27, 2013 at 8:08:29 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a question about how I can export videos using FCP X, and/or also Apple Compressor (which I have the latest version of).

I film with a Canon XF300 (what a machine!), which of course produces lovely 50Mbps footage with 4:2:2 colour sampling. I edit in FCP X with the MXF files from the CF cards in the camera.

I then use Apple Compressor to export my videos, most of which is for online use, so I like to use Quicktime, H.264 etc. However, how can I "carry over" the beautiful 4:2:2 colour from the camera into the final video? It seems that every time I export from Compressor, it knocks the colour down to the lesser 4:2:0 (I can tell this by running the file through Media-Info).

Can someone please advise me if it's possible - and if so, which settings I need to use in order to achieve it? Or is it only possible to export in 4:2:2 if I use Uncompressed 8-bit or 10-bit?

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Josh.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Exporting video with 4:2:2 colourspace (like broadcast)
on Feb 28, 2013 at 5:14:40 am

This is a bit of a vague answer but while h264 supports encoding 4:2:2, I'm not sure Compressor can do it. Certainly earlier versions could only encode h264 as 4:2:0. In all honesty, Compressor isn't the best h264 encoder out there.

Mainly though, i believe you're needing to encode in the h264 high profile setting. Just beware that if you're putting it on the web there will be a lot of devices that can't play it.

* That's my understanding but it's an area I'm a little vague in

Cheers
Jeff K

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]