FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unlink and DELETE audio and video from frustated FCPx newbie

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dionne Knapp
Unlink and DELETE audio and video from frustated FCPx newbie
on Feb 26, 2013 at 10:11:19 pm

Ugh! I'm an Avid user. My studio had Avid MC and anoher bay which has FCP 7 that th epther producer uses. My Avid needed an upgrade so meanwhile, Boss put me on FCP7 because he had an extra MAC. I hate MAc and wasn't used to FCP7 but I forced mhyself to learn it out of necessity.

NOW boss decided to just go MAC for the whole studio rather than upgrade the Avid. But the othe r producer and I were constantly having issues editing at the same time because of the licensing thing. Either I had to work off line or wait until she wasn't on her computer using it.

So his solution was to buy another version for me- FCPx. I just barely figured out FCP7 which wasn't too bad, but FCPx take the cake. It takes way to many steps to do the simplest thing and I'm finding I cant do the most basic tasks.

Right now I'm trying to edit a simple 5 min news package. Its bad enough I hate how FCPx breaks up imported footage into clips but now I'm simply trying to unlink the audio and video so I can put B-roll over the audio.

How do I do that? I figured out how to "Unlink" them by just double clicking the clip but I cant delete the video. I found a you tube tutorial that said just to highlight the video and press delete but when I try, it deletes the audio beneath as well.

How do I delete just the video and keep the audio? Or, for future reference, is there a way I can drop ONLY the audio onto the timeline?

This software sucks. I would have been finished with this package days ago but I'm barely getting started editing because it took me a whole day to figure out this whole "New event" stuff.

ZombieCat

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: Unlink and DELETE audio and video from frustated FCPx newbie
on Feb 26, 2013 at 10:16:06 pm

Clip / Detach audio. Also, try watching my blog video series right here on the cow. It'll take about 40 minutes of viewing and maybe save you some headaches.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Dionne Knapp
on Feb 26, 2013 at 10:32:16 pm

Thank God you answered so fast- I was pulling my hair out trying everything.

I did try Clip- Detach audio but that option is grayed out. I Double clicked the audio so that I could see the 2 channels and then found I was able to move the audio independent of the video. So I moved the audio as far over as it would let me (which was just to the end of the video and then tried deleting the video but it still deleted both of them.

Hey, is there a way I can just drop ONLY the audio from imported footage onto the timeline? Like in Avid and FCP7 it was easy- just deactivate the video track. But I don't see a way to do that on here.

Once I figure this out- I'll go look for your blog because I know I'll be right back here with more questions before I finish this stupid package that should have been EASY. >:(

ZombieCat

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Feb 26, 2013 at 10:20:44 pm

Clip / Detach audio. Also, try looking in the FCPX forum or watching my blog video series right here on the cow.

When setting an in/out and want to put video only, audio only, or both in the timeline, use this:

Shift+1 = Video and Audio
Shift+2=Video Only
Shift+3=Audio only

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Dionne Knapp
on Feb 26, 2013 at 10:34:41 pm

Oh, thanks for that tip- I just asked you this in my reply, haha. Its like you read my mind...
I'm gonna just do it like that for now since I can't seem to separate and delete them once they're on the timeline.

ZombieCat

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Carter
on Feb 26, 2013 at 10:39:55 pm

The hardest thing to get past FCPX is its timeline paradigm - it's completely different from what anyone is used to working with. I also am an Avid editor that went to FCP 7 then FCPX. I wanted to tear my hair out on many an occasion until I got my head around the new workflow.

To lay audio only and have b-roll over it, there are two methods:

One - just lay the video/audio clip in the main timeline and start adding B-roll by 'connecting' it to the main timeline with the 'Q' button. This lays video on top of your clip, obscuring the video track below. On an Avid you could just patch audio on A1 & A2 and start laying video on the V1 track.

On an Avid (and FCP 7), if you wanted a B-roll cutaway in an interview, you would lay it over the video on V1. FCPX doesn't work that way - you have to connect the B-roll shot above the video (almost like putting it on V2).

Another way is to hit "shift-3" for an audio only edit and lay just sound in the main timeline. You would then hit "shift-2" for a video only edit and use the "Q" button to connect video above the audio in the main timeline.

Now the fun begins when you want to slip and slide those edits - you can't! At least not until you create a 'secondary timeline' by selecting all those clips and hitting "cmd-G". Then the trim tools will work.

At first blush it is counter-intuitive with way to many steps, but once you understand the workflow it does go faster without having to patch tracks all the time.

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Feb 27, 2013 at 4:25:23 am

You can slip and slide with the trim tools. Also, you can override clip connections with the grave key. Once you learn it all, it's really quite awesome!

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 27, 2013 at 7:43:48 am

[Jeffrey Carter] "On an Avid (and FCP 7), if you wanted a B-roll cutaway in an interview, you would lay it over the video on V1. FCPX doesn't work that way - you have to connect the B-roll shot above the video (almost like putting it on V2)."

Works just the same for me. I would never put broll in V1. Always above. On Avid, FCP, FCP X. Editing it into V1 would be akin to working with tape to me. Destructive. There is an overwrite command. D. But whether you overwrite video or audio or both, it's going to delete the video and audio in the sequence where you overwrite. You could of course expand the tracks and extend the audio back under but that would get pretty tiresome after awhile. Just edit as a connected clip.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Feb 26, 2013 at 11:02:28 pm

With apologies to the original poster, I feel the irresistible urge to rant for a minute...

You wouldn't expect someone who had never used Avid before to just install it and start editing a spot as fast as someone who's used it for years. Nor can anyone expect to install something like FCPX and just use it. It's especially true with FCPX where previous NLE experience doesn't really apply.

Maybe I'm just turning into a grumpy old editor but I can't believe how many people post "this software sucks" when what they really mean is "I've only been using it for a couple of days and I don't have a clue how it works..".

Read the manual, watch some training videos, work with FCPX for a few months and while there are plenty of workflows that Avid is probably better suited to, you'll go back to Avid and see it for the dinosaur it really is.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 26, 2013 at 11:14:59 pm

+1 on that Jeff, try the "this software sucks" thing on the Avid forum and see what happens. Lucky there are better COW folk than me who are kind enough to answer his questions.

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Feb 27, 2013 at 12:20:36 am

[Jeff Kirkland] "It's especially true with FCPX where previous NLE experience doesn't really apply.

Maybe I'm just turning into a grumpy old editor but I can't believe how many people post "this software sucks" when what they really mean is "I've only been using it for a couple of days and I don't have a clue how it works..".
"

And I feel compelled to respond. You are absolutely correct! :-) Though saying that "previous NLE experience doesn't really apply" to X is a common statement, and it's really not true. It does virtually all the same stuff, and more, it just works differently. I read some of the posts critical of X here and wonder if they're using a different program than the one I've got installed. I work the same way on any NLE, i just push different buttons.

Anyhoo... +1 RTFM ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 27, 2013 at 7:31:34 am

How bout +1 for watch a damn tutorial in FCP X 101 already!

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Feb 27, 2013 at 11:34:50 am

Quick nod to editing b-roll in the V1 track. It's easy-peasy and Bret, it is NOT destructive, in the way I understand destructive.

Once I lay down my "A-roll" soundbite, I select the portion of the bite I want to cover up. Perhaps for a 10 second bite, I want to cover the last 5 seconds. I park the skimmer where I want the b-roll to start, press "I" for In. I find a b-roll shot and hit Q to connect this to the timeline.

Now the easy-peasy part is to drop this connected clip into the primary storyline (OPT-CMD Down-arrow). It automatically covers the video, leaves the audio extended, and it's simple to take this long b-roll shot and chop it up either using the replace from start (or end) or the D key to put just the shots I want into the cover.

I find editing in the secondary storyline awkward. I cannot use the I and O keys to mark a selection.

Trust me Dionne, connect a long-ish clip onto the timeline with that Q key, then drop it and chop it.

Need to edit a soundbite into bits to clean up a bunch of ums, ahs and pauses? Trim it up in the primary, set an I and an O to cover as much of the video as you'd like. Connect a longish clip with the Q key, then select that connected clip and drop it to the primary. Any clip in the primary that was covered by the connected clip is now an audio only clip. Works great.

Also I recommend that you never detatch your audio from the video unless you absolutely must.

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 28, 2013 at 1:10:42 am

Good tips. Obviously no right and wrong way to drive this bus. But I like to always see what portions of V1 is continuous and what parts have been edited together. Helps to know when broll is a neccessary to cover an edit and when it's "optional." I like to delete the broll and not be left with a hole. I wouldn't put broll in a secondary unless a dissolve was needed. That way they're generally connected to the spot the pertain to.

Whenever I use the D key, it obliterates existing audio btw.

Return to posts index

Frank Velasco
on Aug 28, 2014 at 7:15:34 pm

I totally feel your pain! Im in the same boat and find FCPX to be a real pain in the ass! Why did they not have a "Unlink" feature or in preferences to not unlink anything. Why Apple chose to listen to a hand full of editors to create unecessary features on FCPX was selfish and obviously did not give a s*** about the mass of other Final Cut uesers.
If you find out how to "unlink" the "Link" feature please let me know.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 28, 2014 at 7:50:22 pm

[Frank Velasco] "If you find out how to "unlink" the "Link" feature please let me know."

SHIFT-CONTROL-S

FWIW, this post is over a year old, and written by someone who had absolutely no clue what they were doing. Doing what the OP described is trivially easy and takes at most 2 keystrokes. Read the Manual.

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~

Return to posts index

Frank Velasco
on Aug 28, 2014 at 10:17:13 pm

I tried it and doesn't work. Is it because I have 10.1.1?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 28, 2014 at 10:39:51 pm

[Frank Velasco] "I tried it and doesn't work. Is it because I have 10.1.1?"

Nope... it's always been that command, unless I'm misunderstanding. Are you just trying to detach the Audio from a video clip? Like this?

detach

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~

Return to posts index

Geoffrey Maclean
on Oct 26, 2016 at 8:18:38 am

Answer for Final Cut Pro 10 - to unlink audio from a video clip to drag audio only into timeline.

(i) Highlight the video clip in the library that has the audio you want to use. (ii) go to the drop box immediately below the library on your computer screen, to the right of the 'key' symbol, and select audio only. (iii) drag the video clip you have highlighted into the timeline, you will see only the audio is being dragged into the timeline.

It worked for me and I hope it works for you.

Return to posts index

Jen Salinger
on Jan 18, 2016 at 11:33:04 pm

Detach the audio and video. Copy the audio (command-C) and paste it at the end of the other audio. Delete the video clip. It will take out the original audio with it, but the audio-only copy will still be there.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Unlink and DELETE audio and video from frustated FCPx newbie (Still? After 4 years?)
on Jan 19, 2016 at 3:40:38 am

Wow. A zombie thread!

Born in 2013. Resurrected for a while in 2014. And back to visit us in 2016!

Sure hope the OP isn't STILL frustrated after 4 years!

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jen Salinger
Re: Unlink and DELETE audio and video from frustated FCPx newbie (Still? After 4 years?)
on Jan 19, 2016 at 4:39:16 am

It was the first link I found when I searched, so after I discovered a solution I thought I'd share it for the next person who finds it!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 19, 2016 at 5:10:12 am

The OP hasn't posted since... so I'm thinking this was the *last* straw...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP eXchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]