FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor settings for 16:9 PAL IMX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fabrizio D'Agnano
Compressor settings for 16:9 PAL IMX
on Feb 25, 2013 at 11:05:46 pm

Hello.
I need to deliver my work in IMX PAL 625/50, 16:9, 720 x 576, aspect ratio 1.78:1.
Source setting is PAL ProRes 1080i. I can export a ProRes file from within FCPX, then create a PAL DV 16:9 project, drag the exported HD clip, and then again export to IMX. I get a correct 16:9 IMX file, so it seems IMX standards admit 16:9 (and the channel specs that airs Disney Channel as well as other important ones requires that setting, so it must exist :-) ) . However, I'd like to send the HD timeline to compressor and have it create the IMX file. I can't export a 16:9 video, even if I choose the 16:9 aspect ratio in the encoder pane. It shows 4:3, or letterboxed at best if I crop or pad. PAL DV 16:9 720x576 produces a correct 16:9 image. What's wrong in the process?
Thank you.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Francois Jean
Re: Compressor settings for 16:9 PAL IMX
on Feb 26, 2013 at 9:25:26 am

As you know

The normal PAL/DV "pixel aspect ratio" is 1.09, making this PAL file "anamorphic" for supporting 16:9 within this SD format will to change the "pixel aspect ratio" to 1.46, you will still have a PAL 720 x 576 frame but your 16:9 (1.778 image ratio) will be squizzed in the 720x576 (1.25 image ratio).

Real HD is always square " pixel aspect ratio" = 1 except in some camera codecs like dvcproHD , HDV ...

So your ouput will be PAL CCIR 601 / DV (720x576) with a PixelAspedtRation of 1.46 , codec MPEG IMX 625/50 at 50 Mb/s , the remaining question is can you deliver in " .mov " or are they expecting full compliance to the imx standard being MXF file with multiple dual mono audio channels.

I did not know how to answer your question , so I hope this can be usefull
all the best

zap

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Feb 26, 2013 at 10:00:33 am

THank you Zachary.
There's no problem with the .mov file, I can export the multiple audio channels and so on. I already tried with the setting you suggest, but nothing changes. If I export the same sample using the 4:3 or the 16:9 pixel aspect ratio, the exported file fill show 4:3 in Quick time or on the timeline. This is a screenshot of the settings in compressor:

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Francois Jean
on Feb 26, 2013 at 4:13:40 pm

i have been playing with the same setting and got the same absurd PixRation so I believe you will have to force the right RATIO ...
using a custom geometry and custom pixelaspect ratio of 1.46

Hope this does perfect (I'm very confident)
regards

zap

Return to posts index

Francois Jean
on Feb 26, 2013 at 4:17:12 pm

I had never uploaded an image here so here it is ... zap

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Feb 26, 2013 at 4:47:08 pm

Thank you!
I will try it now. I hope it complies with the channel standards.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Feb 26, 2013 at 7:29:25 pm

No, it seems to produce the same 4:3 file whatever pixel ratio I set. There must be something else. Have you tried it on your side?

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Francois Jean
on Feb 26, 2013 at 11:35:16 pm

Hello Fabrizio

I finally did have time to test this and the result are exact the HD is Half ...

SD is half : 3x4 anamorphic

and this Normal for PAL SD anamorphic , the HD image is squeezed in the SD frame and it will play in 16:9 in the appropriate viewer and monitor
zap

NotaBene:
These screen grab are from footage issued with a book : Craft of the Cut from Marios Chirtou and Mark Riley...

Return to posts index

Francois Jean
on Feb 27, 2013 at 12:58:34 am

And in the end , i did use the normal PAL CCIR 601 (16:9) compressor geometry setting and even if it did show a 0.7031 pixel aspect .... i did get the same correct SD squeezed result as the customized 1.46 pixel aspect.

My conclusion is that either way [and i would suggest that you use the PAL CCIR 601 (16:9) setting ] you end up with a correct and standard 4x3 PAL SD squeezed image from your HD images which is what is required.

I am sorry for the "merry go round" but before i had tested all transcoding instead of just looking at the numbers , i had not seen the output clips.

regards
zap

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Feb 27, 2013 at 10:54:21 pm

Thank you.
I don't know. The image I get exporting IMX 625/60 from FCPX sho6:9, just like the one I used to export from FCP7, shows 16:9in QT Player, FCP timeline, etc. The one I export from Compressor does not. The screenshots you added look like 4:3.
This is exported from FCPX, showing 16:9

This is exported from Compressor, anamorphic 16:9, showing 4:3

This is exported from compressor, padding on.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Francois Jean
on Feb 28, 2013 at 7:44:05 am

Hello again Fabrizio
Your results are looking good. I now believe that only your client can resolve the final choice between SD anamorphic or SD letterbox. (SD anamorphic would preserve the most quality but how your client puts it on air could require otherwise)

I have been looking at the "Disney benelux" Delevery specification and the ABC DISNEY Original Production delivery Spec, but i could only find the HD versions in my Archives. I was very much surprised how different the two specs books are : one is Sony codec in MXF and the other is a specific ProResHQ in quicktime. I guess you should require your client's Delevery specification , here, they only give access to contracted producer or cinematographer through a special internet link .... so I don't have the SD versions of the specs.

All the best
zap

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Mar 1, 2013 at 8:27:28 am

Thank you Zachary.
I guess I'll continue sending them the IMX coming from FCPX, that's already been accepted in the past, and maybe I'll send them a short demo of the other I get from Compressor and see if they like it :-)

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]