FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems conforming FCP X to Station Audio specs

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Ramsey
Problems conforming FCP X to Station Audio specs
on Feb 25, 2013 at 12:54:05 am

I have just got FCP X and so far I'm not all that impressed.
My main problem is that the studio specs for audio are a max output of -12db with a maximum dynamic range of 6db.
How do I get all my clips to conform?
I've tried the LoudMax plugin and it requires a lot of fiddling about to get the right range.
Or should I admit defeat now and switch to Premiere Pro?

Brett Ramsey
FCP/Mac hold out in a very PC environment.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Problems conforming FCP X to Station Audio specs
on Feb 25, 2013 at 1:03:37 am

Audio plug-ins in FCP X are applied upstream from volume. You generally don't get the right results when compressing/limiting clips. The better approach is to build the mix normally (without overall compression). Combine the mixed audio tracks into a single compound clip and then apply compression/limiting to the compound clip.

Alternatively, export an FCP XML, convert to XML using Xto7, and then bring the project to Soundtrack Pro or Adobe Audition, for better control.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Feb 25, 2013 at 4:24:27 am

What exactly is the trouble you are having? How to use FCP X or how to get your audio to comply with the requested specs?

Looks like that LoudMax plugin works pretty well (a good find). However, for what you need a compressor should give better results in limiting your dynamic range. The compressor built into FCP X works very well (it is from logic), and has a built in brick wall limiter.

If you are new to FCP X I would highly recommend some training. Ripple training or Larry Jordan training is excellent. FCP X is a reinvention of editing and many of us folks who are used to "Second Generation" NLEs have a hard time getting our minds out it.

However know that FCP X has no problem complying to those requirements. There are plenty of us folks who are using FCP X for broadcast and complying to specs without a problem.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Feb 25, 2013 at 11:20:41 am

Be aware of all the audio plug-ins in the Effects tab. Scroll down and you'll see them with a category called 'Levels'. Eleven of those in the Levels category are from Logic. There's a number of plug-ins there. Also be aware that you can go to the Audio section of the Inspector and at the bottom of the Audio Enhancements pane you'll see a right angle bracket next to Audio Enhancements that takes you to a Loudness pane where you can adjust Loudness and Uniformity, but using a percentage gauge. That doesn't help you with db parameters but it might be a good first step at initial compression before using one of the Logic plugins.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]