FORUMS: list search recent posts

Accessing multiple audio tracks in a compound clip?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Davis
Accessing multiple audio tracks in a compound clip?
on Feb 23, 2013 at 3:45:27 pm

I was banging my head against the wall with this one this week...

I'm editing promos for a TV series, and the client sent finished episodes on HDCAM with mixed audio, as well as split audio tracks as AIFF files. I'd like to marry the clean splits to the master clip, and then have the ability to turn off the mixed tracks when cutting shots into my timeline.

Setup went fine: I created a compound clip and dropped the ProRes captured clip of the episode into it. Then I synced up L and R of dialog, effects, and music below. But when I close the compound clip in my timeline and access it as a source, the Inspector shows only one mono track, and not the separate discreet channels I was expecting.

I thought this might be the nature of a compound clip, so I tried a workaround. I duplicated the original ProRes clip in my event, opened the dupe in the timeline, and synced up the tracks again. Same result.

This seems basic, and I'm sure I'm missing something. Thanks in advance.

William "used to be Bill but that got confusing" Davis
Washington, DC

Bill Davis
thedavisreview.com

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
Re: Accessing multiple audio tracks in a compound clip?
on Feb 23, 2013 at 6:45:07 pm

Not sure if you tried it but instead of making a compound clip, select your picture and stems and make a Synchronized Clip instead. I just did this to cut a trailer and it's working okay - still have to manually turn of dialog or you can remove the dialog from the synched clip and just cut the dialog free version into the timeline as needed.

Probably a better way, hopefully someone will chime in as I'd like to have the stems show up in the info window like you do without creating a full render of the show.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

William Davis
on Feb 23, 2013 at 9:56:25 pm

Thanks, Lance! I'll give that a try on Monday.

Much appreciated,
Bill

Bill Davis
thedavisreview.com

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Feb 23, 2013 at 10:31:07 pm

[William Davis] " I'd like to marry the clean splits to the master clip, and then have the ability to turn off the mixed tracks when cutting shots into my timeline.

Setup went fine: I created a compound clip and dropped the ProRes captured clip of the episode into it. Then I synced up L and R of dialog, effects, and music below. But when I close the compound clip in my timeline and access it as a source, the Inspector shows only one mono track, and not the separate discreet channels I was expecting."

If by "turn off" you mean mute, you can easily do it with roles. You can assign roles to clips in the event browser, which is preferred because they'll have those roles no matter what you cut them into. You can also do it from the timeline if you've already cut them in. (changing a role in the event will not transfer to clips you've already cut in) . If it was me, I'd create and assign roles to the event clips, and then assign those roles to anything I've already cut in. Hopefully I'm not being too obvious, or too vague. If you haven't used roles much it's real easy. Let's assume you're doing the event clips first, though the process is the same either way.

Select a clip. open the inspector. select the "info" tab. locate the "Roles" drop down menu. from here you can A) assign a default role or B) choose "edit roles" at the bottom of the menu and then use these. Do that, and you can create new Roles and subroles with the + button. If it were me, I'd make:

A "Mix" audio role, and a "Stems" audio role. I'd then select the "Stems' Role, and in the subrole pane create as many of those as I need. DIA/MX/FX/VO... whatever. Click OK and they'll now be choices in the menu. Then just select each clip and using the

Then select each clip and in the inspector assign the proper Role. (Again, I'd do it to the masters in the event *and* any clips in sequences. Then you wan't need to do it again) It's way less convoluted than it sounds, it'll take about a minute. ;-)

Anyway... Once that's done, in the Roles tab of the timeline indexyou can then mute/solo, highlight, and expand each individual role even if it's buried in a CC.

Hope this helps, and wasn't too pedantic!

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Feb 23, 2013 at 10:59:42 pm

Did you cick the little twirl-down arrow next to the mono track in the inspector, to reveal the additional tracks?

Edit

Nevermind, I just tried it myself, could have sworn that both "Expand audio components" and under channel configuration in the inspector showed all of a compound clips audio channels, similar to a multicam clip. Guess not. Lame

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Feb 24, 2013 at 1:30:00 am

It does work with "Synchronized Clip"

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Feb 24, 2013 at 7:37:19 am

I've had this issue before. Haven't exactly come up with a fix until I thought about it tonight. So try this - within the compound clip, take all your audio splits and place them into their own compound clip.

I think X has an issue with audio inside compounds that isn't grouped or inside a compound - basically raw mono audio.

EDIT - if that doesn't work, try breaking apart the audio in the original clip and compounding all the audio, including the stems. Seems to work for mono clips, but doesn't work for stereo ones as far as I can tell.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]