FORUMS: list search recent posts

deleting a gap clip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Manno
deleting a gap clip
on Feb 21, 2013 at 12:25:19 pm

In the screenshot above, I want to delete that gap clip without rippling the timeline. I want everything after the gap clip to stay where it is.

I want to replace the gap clip with the clip on the left by using the position tool and stretching the edge of the clip to the right to cover the gap clip.

If I did this, would the gap clip still be there UNDERNEATH the clip, being covered by the clip, or will the gap clip be deleted/erased? The animation in doing this makes me think the gap clip is still lingering underneath..

Is there any other method I can use to remove that gap clip without ripping the timeline? Or is the position tool and stretching the previous clip across, the only real way?

Am just trying to better understand the workings of the gap clip in the timeline..

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: deleting a gap clip
on Feb 21, 2013 at 2:10:35 pm

In this instance you can treat the gap clip just as an empty space was treated in legacy. Using the position tool to extend the end of the first clip to completely remove the gap clip will not leave a "hidden piece" of gap clip behind. If there is no frames of black between to two clips, the gap clip is gone.

An alternative to dragging is shift-x. Select out point of first clip, move play head to start of clip 2 (hit the down arrow) and then hit shift-x.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Feb 21, 2013 at 4:38:06 pm

There are a bunch of ways to accomplish this the "gap" is just a generator so it works like any other clip.

Here are some options
- set your in and out points on the timeline and do an overwrite edit. The keyboard shortcut is D, or chose the menu "Edit > Overwrite".
- Drag and hold your new clip for a moment onto the gap clip then let go and choose Replace from Start or Replace from End to maintain timing.
- Switch to the Position tool "P" and drag a clip directly over the gap clip.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Feb 21, 2013 at 10:25:33 pm

Another solution:

Grab the edit point of the clip you want to extend so that the end of the clip and the beginning of the gap clip are both selected (the key)

Move your playhead to the end of the gap clip.

Hit shift-x to simultaneously extend the end of your previous clip and overwrite the gap clip so that it is no longer there.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, and entertainment for your couch.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]