FORUMS: list search recent posts

Optimize an M4A?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Loren Risker
Optimize an M4A?
on Feb 20, 2013 at 5:42:39 am

I have some m4a's in my event. The options to transcode it aren't selectable.

Is there a way to convert an m4a in FCPX?

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, and entertainment for your couch.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Optimize an M4A?
on Feb 20, 2013 at 1:25:59 pm

ITunes audio files. Right? That's native to the OS, so I think FCP X treats that as optimized. In fact, I'm not sure it optimizes any audio that it can read and play.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 20, 2013 at 2:03:38 pm

Do a reveal in finder and I think you'll see it in your optimized media folder. Some things are optimized no matter what. Like a 44.1 WAV file in my experience. No choice. Even if you don't select to optimize on import.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 20, 2013 at 6:04:26 pm

Isn't "optimize" just a code word for "translate into something that I can work with efficiently - maintaining as much original quality as is mathematically possible"

And if that definition is generally true, then X is kinda just ignoring work it doesn't have to do.

Which seems pretty smart to me.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Feb 20, 2013 at 11:50:14 pm

I'm sure you guys are right, FCPX won't attempt to optimize files it can handle, such as a prores or an aiff.

My issue was that I was using an M4A file and during that section I was having a a lot of playback issues, as if I was editing from h.264 files.

My understanding is that M4A is a container which could either be Apple Lossless or AAC.

I like working with AIFF or WAV because then I immediately know they are ready to edit and don't eat up processing power.

However, after converting my m4a to an aiff outside of FCPX and using the aiff instead, I'm still getting the slow down so there must be another issue I need to investigate further.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, and entertainment for your couch.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Feb 21, 2013 at 3:46:55 am

[Loren Risker] "I was having a a lot of playback issues, as if I was editing from h.264 files."

Loren,

Off topic, but all I edit these days is H.264 files I export from ScreenFlow and have no problems. I've even A-B'd it with PR 422 and didn't find any real difference. But, I also use very few effects and color correction, it's mostly cuts and lower 3rds. The biggest factor for me to avoid beachballs (again OT), is that after I make adjustments to the audio in the Project, I go to the Light Switch and switch off the thumbnails for both audio and video (the far right selection) and editing is very quick on my 2011 MBP i7.

[Loren Risker] "I'm still getting the slow down so there must be another issue I need to investigate further."
I hope you get that figured out.

Dave

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Feb 21, 2013 at 10:27:03 pm

I edit on a 2011 13inch macbook pro, and h.264 are workable, but they cause a lot of slowdowns. Especially when skimming or fast forwarding.

-------------

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 21, 2013 at 4:25:53 am

[Loren Risker] "However, after converting my m4a to an aiff outside of FCPX and using the aiff instead, I'm still getting the slow down so there must be another issue I need to investigate further."

First thing I'd look at are temporal issues. For years in Legacy, my biggest issue was some knuclehead setting a camera to 32khz 4-track audio and my timeline not knowing how to keep THAT time base flowing against the 48khz standard.

Legacy had to grow a LOT to handle the necessary audio sample discrepancies. X is better. But with all these new compression schemes and possible timekeepers landing in a single timeline, it's not an easy issue.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]