FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sync in FCPX with jam-sync camera/audio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Brown
Sync in FCPX with jam-sync camera/audio
on Feb 19, 2013 at 5:08:13 pm

Back in September I remember having no problem syncing a video clip that has no sound track to an external audio track, when both the audio recorder and camera with jam-synced together sharing same timecode.

Now I can't get it to work. "Create Multicam" clip will sync. But not "synchronize clips."

I dont want to use multicam cause its single camera but also because I know exporting to XMP with multicam will be nightmare.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

T. Payton
Re: Sync in FCPX with jam-sync camera/audio
on Feb 19, 2013 at 5:53:36 pm

Humm... try putting a marker at the same timecode for both the audio and the video.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Feb 19, 2013 at 6:31:14 pm

does have any effect, at least the way i am doing it.

i put the markers on the clips in the event browser (just towards beginning of each clip i put a marker at the same time code location on both. then hit "synchronize clips" --- but it's not synched, markers not lined up.

of course i can open the new compound clip in timeline and sync manually just by lining up the two markers i created, but FCPX should be doing this automatically right?

and it's crazy cause multicam will totally sync them no problem....

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Feb 19, 2013 at 6:46:07 pm

That is odd. According to this page:

http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/mac/10.0.6/#verc1fabc30

"Final Cut Pro analyzes the clips for sync points such as markers you’ve added, timecode, file creation date, and audio content. If no sync points can be found, the clips are synced at their respective starting points."

It is my understanding that those are in priority order. Don't know why multicam sync would work when regular sync didn't. All I can think of is if you had alot of clips.

In your case however, just sync in MultiCam. Open the angle editor and select all the clips and then paste into a fresh compound clip.

A bit of commentary: Like many of those who shoot DSLR, I do a LOT of syncing (I just did a project with 1000 clips that needed to be synced), and even in Plural Eyes (before FCP X) there were sometimes when a supposedly clean track just wouldn't sync. In the last year and a half with FCP X I've had just one instance where the built in tools didn't sync correctly, and I had to do that manually in a Compound Clip. However, considering the fact that you can move audio by the subframe it works really well.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Feb 19, 2013 at 6:55:39 pm

I'm not sure that sync'ing by multicam and then cut and pasting out will save me any time, may actually be slower. When you do so, it pastes as 2 separate storylines connected to blank main storyline. so getting clean new clip is time consuming.

i have at least 100 clips without camera audio, so yeah, not fun.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Feb 19, 2013 at 7:01:18 pm

Oh that is indeed a drag.

You might want to grab a trial of Plural Eyes here, but I'm not sure if it obeys timecode. It is worth a shot. I believe it works for 30 days.

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/pluraleyes/

Really bizzar that your timecode isn't syncing. If you can make a short clip I'll try it on my system. Lookup my company name (below) and give me a shout.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Feb 19, 2013 at 7:06:06 pm

Yeah Plural Eyes is waveform only. Interestingly enough it also really doesn't mesh well with the workflow of a feature film edit. At least not that I could figure out.

Anyway, just emailed you off your site. Would love if you took a look.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Feb 19, 2013 at 11:32:50 pm

Jacob,

Thanks for the footage. So it turns out that your video clip had a very low level audio track that was throwing off the sync. The fix is to right click and choose Modify > Analyze & Fix on the video the footage and remove silent channels. Then the sync function will disregard audio and only use the timecode.

Based on this information I was apparently incorrect in assuming that Timecode would trump audio sync. Apparently audio sync trumps the other sync items.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]