FORUMS: list search recent posts

Imported Project From iMovie Uses 16:9, Original Material is 4:3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler DeWitt
Imported Project From iMovie Uses 16:9, Original Material is 4:3
on Feb 14, 2013 at 7:45:48 pm

I just got a GoPro and have been shooting footage in 1920x1440 (not realizing that was 4:3). I started a project in iMovie, then decided to try my luck with FCP X. When I exported the project from FCP, it gets displayed in a 16:9 format. I started a new project (using the footage from the same shoot), and when I export the video, it comes out 4:3.

I'm completely new to FCP, so I just want to play around and see what the different output ratios look like (I'm kind of prejudice to the 16:9, but I get that there would be clipping involved to get 4:3 to fit into 16:9).

My completely nooby questions are: Is there a way to control aspect ratio in FCP? I thought I had just said "Use Current Settings" when exporting the projects. Is this expected behavior to have an iMovie project exported in 16:9?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
Re: Imported Project From iMovie Uses 16:9, Original Material is 4:3
on Feb 21, 2013 at 12:17:46 am

It sounds like you're exporting correctly, but not setting up your project correctly.

Try this:

Go to your project browser and highlight the project.

Open the inspector/properties (command 4). In the the lower right corner of the inspector window there should be a wrench. That will give you the video resolution options FCPX offers. Unfortunately it's not nearly as customizable as it was in FCP7.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, and entertainment for your couch.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]