FORUMS: list search recent posts

Precision editor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Precision editor
on Feb 17, 2013 at 1:00:01 am

Any way to have audio tracks accessible in the precision editor? The objective is to roll both the picture and sound edits independently while in the precision editor.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Precision editor
on Feb 17, 2013 at 4:50:35 am

It seems precision editor will honor split edits, but adjust audio and video together.

Unless I'm missing something.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 17, 2013 at 5:57:24 pm

I'm seeing the same. Unfortunately in the precision editor, the A/V channels are collapsed again, so it's hard to tell visually where the splits are. I avoid the PE as I don't find it very useful, but I was hoping that I was missing something. I guess not.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Feb 19, 2013 at 6:13:46 am

The PE has phenomenal potential as looks like it could match feature by feature the much lauded trim tool in Avid MC. However, it is just too limited in its current incarnation.

I have found several uses for it, mainly to adjust transitions edit points and match action on an edit. Actually it is excellent for matching action, especially using use the keyboard to JKL and shift-X to move the edit point.

Part of it's shortcoming is that the regular tools in FCP X trim pretty well without the PE.

If Apple would give it a little TLC and make it work beyond just the video on the primary storyline, give it better keyboard controls and a persistent 2 up, 3 up or even 4 up display. I think it could prove to be a valuable and powerful tool.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 19, 2013 at 1:09:05 pm

Have you actually used the MC trim tool? If so, have you used it for more than simple trimming of a cut? There simply is no other NLE that gives you the level of asymmetrical trimming power. PPro is close, but not there yet. The precision editor isn't even on the same planet.

For what it does, the PE works well, but it's a completely different approach than a standard trimming tool. I'm not criticizing the PE, except to point out that what it does is entirely different than what other trim tools do. Some of that power is unnecessary in X due to the way the magnetic timeline and connected clips work, so it's not all bad. But a feature-to-feature match? I don't think so.

Right now, a multi-pane trim viewer and access to splits would go a long way to getting it to where it needs to be.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Feb 19, 2013 at 2:12:23 pm

[Oliver Peters] "The precision editor isn't even on the same planet."

I completely agree with you. I'm sorry if my point wasn't clear. I should have made it clear I was talking about potential. If Apple put some time and effort into PE then it has the potential to do everything the Avid trim tool does. Unfortunately it is far from what it could be.

However, the PE can some of the things that the Avid trim tool does well such as adjust a single or double roller trim during playback with the keyboard while viewing the 'unseen" portion of the A or B clip. But it takes multiple mouse clicks and keyboard shortcuts to set it up, and then the viewer is only 1 up and in the end it is hardly worth it. Of course unlike Avid, single roller or double roller trims can only be performed on one edit point at a time, whether in the PE or the timeline.

The other issue is responsiveness. Apple needs to get rid of the start or stop playback delay.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 19, 2013 at 2:28:06 pm

[T. Payton] " and then the viewer is only 1 up and in the end it is hardly worth it. "

I completely agree. I think at this point it's an oversight that 2-up trim windows appear when using the mouse, but not the keyboard trim commands.

[T. Payton] "Apple needs to get rid of the start or stop playback delay."

Amen!

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]