FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrading system disk to SSD?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Tinsley
Upgrading system disk to SSD?
on Feb 15, 2013 at 2:33:25 pm

I'm slowly learning FCPX and one of the things I'm toying with is the idea of perking up my iMac with an SSD upgrade. I'm thinking of installing the SSD along side the current system disk. I would then make the SSD the boot disk and leave the 7200 RMP sata in there for all my Events and Projects. Up until now I've edited only on the internal 7200 RPM sata for everything and it's just beginning to bog down.

So my question is how big of an SSD to buy? I was thinking 240 gig. I also should mention I'm running Lion. So if the boot SSD just has Apps and the OS and I'm very careful with other data, is 240 gig enough or do I have to spring for the more expensive 500 gig SSD?

Please share your experiences.

Return to posts index

Brent Cook
Re: Upgrading system disk to SSD?
on Feb 16, 2013 at 12:10:14 am

Just based on the info you provided I would think 240 is plenty. I recently did the same with my MacBook Pro, except a 120gb ssd and it's almost too small. I wish I had gotten a 240.

Return to posts index

Hisham Attia
on Feb 16, 2013 at 9:10:53 am

I have a 250GB SSD and it is sufficient for what I need. Surely, depending on how much data and how many applications you are storing locally. My memory eating data are all stored externally, these are photos, music and videos, my documents and files are stored on the SSD. And with 250GB, I am getting along well.

Cheers
Hisham

Return to posts index

Nathan Tinsley
on Feb 16, 2013 at 2:24:54 pm

Thanks to both of you for the reply. It looks like 240 gig is going to be a good choice! Much appreciated!

Nate

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]