FORUMS: list search recent posts

Memory for MacPro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Fourchalk
Memory for MacPro
on Feb 14, 2013 at 4:00:24 am

Really basic question here. Didn't know which forum to insert this question so here goes. I currently have 4 x 2gb ram for a total of 8gb ram. I want to add more memory. I am left with 4 vacant slots to add ram. My question is:

Can I add 4 8 or perhaps 16gb modules of ram into the existing 4 vacant slots? Or because I have 2gb x 4 slots right now, must I continue with 2gb modules in remaining slots?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Memory for MacPro
on Feb 14, 2013 at 1:02:09 pm

[Rob Fourchalk] "Can I add 4 8 or perhaps 16gb modules of ram into the existing 4 vacant slots? "

Yes as long as they are in pairs

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Rob Fourchalk
on Feb 14, 2013 at 3:42:11 pm

OK...great! So Steve does the pairing of slots go like this: Slot 1 & 2, 3 & 4, 5 & 6 and 7 & 8? My system report on MacPro is telling me that slots 3 & 4 and slots 7 & 8 are not being used. Is it odd that it came shipped from the factory with Slots 1 & 2 and 5 & 6 used with dedicated modules instead of 1 & 2 and 3 & 4? I guess it doesn't matter eh? so long as it's in pairing as you mentioned with same sizes per pairing.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 14, 2013 at 4:44:58 pm

Depending on the vintage of your MacPro, the configuration changes.

1&2, 5&6 makes sense so that each proc gets RAM access.

Does your MacPro have a CPU sled at the bottom?

If so, your setup is correct.

Just match left and right, and you should be OK.

Companies like Crucial or OWC have configuratiors to help you buy RAM for your particular machine.

Return to posts index

Rob Fourchalk
on Feb 14, 2013 at 9:17:15 pm

Thanks too Jeremy. Great support these forums.

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Feb 14, 2013 at 6:29:08 pm

Go to OWC and check out their installation instructions. I thought I was doing it right but was having kernel panics. When I went to their site and looked at their instructions I found I was actually doing it wrong. When I followed their instructions to the "t" the new RAM worked fine. I don't remember what the difference was but it had do do with pairing the modules on the risers correctly.

anickt

Return to posts index

Rob Fourchalk
on Feb 14, 2013 at 9:16:19 pm

Thanks Nick for this piece of advice - much appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]