FORUMS: list search recent posts

Verifying the clips have transferred from Cards

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Sherman
Verifying the clips have transferred from Cards
on Feb 13, 2013 at 5:28:29 pm

With FCP 7 I used to verify that I had transferred my cards content by searching in the Finder for the first and last clip name (e.g. G10_0338_01.mov) on each card, however since FCP X does not use the original clip name when it creates the media, I can't do this. Once again this could be solved by adding a prefernce item for file naming conventions.

Secondly, with the Log and Transfer window in FCP 7 it would highlight the clips you've already imported. There doesn't seem to be any similar function in FCP X.

How are people verifying they've transferred everything. Or is everyone hoping nothing goes wrong. I know, I know everyone says you should transfer the entire card contents, but so I've never felt like I should waste the disk space or time doing that.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Verifying the clips have transferred from Cards
on Feb 13, 2013 at 5:50:56 pm

[Brett Sherman] "Once again this could be solved by adding a prefernce item for file naming conventions."

You can craete your own renaimng convertion. After transfer, chosoe to rename all the files (one of the options is camera orignal name) and you can then check in the Event Borwser. Files on the Finder will remian the same anme as FCPX gave them.

You could also do a file number check (158 files in the Event, 158 files in the Finder for example).

[Brett Sherman] "Secondly, with the Log and Transfer window in FCP 7 it would highlight the clips you've already imported. There doesn't seem to be any similar function in FCP X.
"

In the import window you will see a little light switch. With your card folder or footage selected, click that light swtich and you will see an option to "hide imported clips".

Also, if you sort the import browser by thumbnail, you will see a line on the clips (or ranges) that have been imported.

[Brett Sherman] "How are people verifying they've transferred everything. Or is everyone hoping nothing goes wrong. I know, I know everyone says you should transfer the entire card contents, but so I've never felt like I should waste the disk space or time doing that."

I do verified transfers from the cards to two drives right away. Then I do a verified transfer from there to my working editing drive (usually a SAN). The original verified transfers then become backups.

Then I import and do a file number check.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Feb 13, 2013 at 7:34:57 pm

Jeremy, you're a wealth of knowledge. Thanks.

Still it should be a preference item.

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Feb 13, 2013 at 10:15:56 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "You can craete your own renaimng convertion. After transfer, chosoe to rename all the files (one of the options is camera orignal name) and you can then check in the Event Borwser. Files on the Finder will remian the same anme as FCPX gave them."

GREAT TIP!!!

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
MacPro 3.2GHz Quad Core - AJA Kona LHe+
FCS 3 OS X 10.7.4
FCP X, Adobe CS6, Logic Pro, Squeeze, Filemaker 10.8.2

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 13, 2013 at 10:21:42 pm

I'm surprised you could read that.

Sorry for the typos.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Feb 17, 2013 at 3:33:50 pm

When I'm working off a shortlist (which is most of the time), not only do I do a verified transfer from cards to my backup drives, I also playback a few seconds of every clip on one of the drives and check that all shots on the list are actually on the drives. On one shoot a couple of years ago a number of takes from a scene never made it to the cards or drives. Fortunately I had plenty of coverage, but after that we added the step of checking the drives against the shortlist.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.7.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.7, Motion 5.0.6, Compressor 4.0.6

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Feb 17, 2013 at 6:34:41 pm

Bret Sherman-
"but I've never felt like I should waste the disk space or time doing that."

Do it any way. Waste disk space? What? That's what it's for.

But its understandable that over time, all those little cards build up and waste a ton of space on your media drives. So don't back them up there. Similar to Jeremy, my method is to first copy the cards to a dedicated external drive, then import individual clips in FCPX to the media drive as needed. Gives that extra layer of redundancy, in case the media drives fail and then the backup explodes, at least the SD Cards Drive is still there. If not, there is a disaster and you need to stop, drop and roll, get to high ground or flee to the bunker!

I agree though, there needs to be a preference for option for naming on import. I miss the old L&T custom naming conventions (but I don't miss waiting for that window to finish processing). It would be nice to have a section of the import window to set metadata and custom name appends etc, which would apply to imported clips. Or a toggle that enables a little pop up for each I/O selection, where you can name the clip or add a keyword etc. before importing. The FCPX import window still needs a little more paradigm shifting.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 18, 2013 at 3:31:43 am

[David Eaks] "I agree though, there needs to be a preference for option for naming on import. I miss the old L&T custom naming conventions (but I don't miss waiting for that window to finish processing). It would be nice to have a section of the import window to set metadata and custom name appends etc, which would apply to imported clips. Or a toggle that enables a little pop up for each I/O selection, where you can name the clip or add a keyword etc. before importing. The FCPX import window still needs a little more paradigm shifting."

Have you tried the custom naming options after import?

They are pretty good.

You can also change names without penalty and revert to fcpx assigned names, or custom names, or cam original names.

The best thing about it is, you don't have to wait for fcpx to finish importing/transcoding. As soon as the clip is in the Browser, you can make your choice.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Feb 18, 2013 at 6:06:46 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Have you tried the custom naming options after import?"

Oh man... somehow it has eluded me. I don't really need to do a lot of clip naming and organizing in my daily work though. With a quick Google search I found and read this-

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/fcp_x_batch_rename_clips_young.html

It does look good. Now if they could just stick that function into the import window.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]