FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multi-screen projection

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Simboli
Multi-screen projection
on Feb 12, 2013 at 10:39:14 pm

I'm developing a video project to be cut in FCPX, which would play on three separate screens. My guess is that I would create three FCPX projects and then output the edits as three files, to be played back on three laptops—each output going to a different LCD screen. Is there a way to do this in FCPX besides the way I described it here?

Also, is there a way to create a single file that could be uploaded to the web and viewed as three "screens" next to each other?

Return to posts index

T. Payton
Re: Multi-screen projection
on Feb 13, 2013 at 5:10:20 pm

If you want to stay in sync, you'll be much better off with a "video wall" coming from one machine rather than 3 laptops.

You have lots of options. Perhaps someone can chime in on their experience and their recommendations for products.

FCP X can easily handle a super wide format with a custom resolution timeline. See here:

http://library.creativecow.net/payton_t/FCPX_Custom-Resolution-Timelines/1

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Derek Hayn
Re: Multi-screen projection
on Feb 14, 2013 at 8:19:54 pm

I'm working on the same thing right now and hope you'll permit me to hijack your thread with a relavant question in a minute.

The technique that T. posted for setting custom resolutions works great (Thank you for putting that video together!) and was the best solution for my project because we have images and videos that stretch across 3 displays.

Couple things to keep in mind using the custom timeline technique:

Transitions occasionally get a bit screwed up when overlapping video that doesn't actually overlap. The best fix I've found is to delete your render files and let FCPX re-render before exporting.

If you're using stills, sizing them first in Photoshop to the dimensions of the screen(s) will speed up your workflow. When you import them into the timeline you can type 1920 or -1920 into X position to quickly move your clip to the left or right "screen."

Even if you choose to use 3 separate video files, it might make sense to start from a single project instead of trying to get the timing right across 3. I've used a free program called QT Sync in the past to generate 3 files from a single master export.

My problem and what might soon be yours is that a 5760x1080 video takes a machine with a lot of horsepower for smooth playback. I've been exporting mine from FCPX using the "Export file" (H.264) option. If I try to send it to compressor any H.264 option at full size produces a file that is scrambled. Is there a better codec to use on a file this size? The lower the CPU usage the better. We're using a Windows 7 machine running VLC for playback.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]