FORUMS: list search recent posts

Having media on different drive to event file

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sanders
Having media on different drive to event file
on Feb 12, 2013 at 8:49:59 pm

I know X can just link to media but has anyone tried keeping the media on one drive and events on another drive linking between the two?

In my head it made sense last night but can't think why I would do it...

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Having media on different drive to event file
on Feb 12, 2013 at 8:56:15 pm

I can't see any real advantage and I'd think it would be a recipe for disaster if anything happens that you lose track of the drive with the media on it. In the interests of coming back to a project weeks, months, or years later, I'd definitely want to have my event and the media it refers to in the same spot.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 12, 2013 at 10:28:59 pm

This is a perfectly viable workflow.

You can always, at any time, "Organize" the Event and it will copy all the linked .mov files in to the Event.

A good use of this would be to have the Event on a really fast SSD, and all your media on a slower drive.

The problem is, all render files follow the Event/Project so you might have to trash render files to keep space open on lower capacity SSDs.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Feb 12, 2013 at 11:49:19 pm

I'm totally with Jeremy.

It can make perfect sense as you don't have to juggle with source media -- except maybe with media which are copied or converted by FCPX automatically.
So convert the media upfront put it on your RAID and from there create your events and projects. Sounds a bit tedious but makes sense as well.

And make sure to have a backup of your media.

Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Feb 13, 2013 at 6:13:11 pm

[Andreas Kiel] "It can make perfect sense as you don't have to juggle with source media -- except maybe with media which are copied or converted by FCPX automatically."

ya know what kind of sucks? You can have all your media nicely aliased (not copied to the event) but if you bring in anything from the audio browser tab... It copies it to the event folder! I discovered this the hard way, so beware. :-/

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Feb 13, 2013 at 2:42:53 pm

Mmmm. I can't remember the logic now (I came up with the crazy plan at 2am whilst not being able to sleep!). I'll try and see if I can work it out.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 13, 2013 at 3:44:03 pm

Makes perfect sense. No different than 7 really. 7 always made links to the footge, especially once we quit working with tape. Except for the occasional log and transfer, my capture scratch folders were empty for years.

These days I put everything on a thunderbolt Raid 5. But I figure in the future Ill edit off thunderbolt field drives too, but I'll still want my projects and events localized. An event might consist of media from many drives and I don't see the point in consolidating it all until the project is finished.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Feb 13, 2013 at 5:00:08 pm

[Michael Sanders] "I know X can just link to media but has anyone tried keeping the media on one drive and events on another drive linking between the two?"

This scenario came up on a recent thread on the other Forum.

FCP X crashes on large jobs :

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/47480#47517

In order to avoid problems Mike Fernanandes spreads his FCPX jobs over 3 drives. 1. For FCPX 2. for all his Events and 3. for his media.

I've not tried this workflow yet but he claims it really speeds things up.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 13, 2013 at 8:48:32 pm

Some of us can only afford 1 pegasus! :)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 13, 2013 at 9:39:45 pm

I've just spent a week cutting a new project for a client and they wanted to use assets from two programs I did for them about 8 months ago.

So I have a "hybrid" timeline going. Half the clips in my current project live on the firewire 800 external drive - the other half are being sourced from disk images that reside on a mounted external 2TB USB 2.0 drive that contains the disk images of the cards I shot the referenced video on.

When I load up the disk images (double click mount them on the desktop of my laptop) X re-links perfectly and the scenes on my timeline re-connect — and the "offline" markers on my new timeline fill in handily.

It seems that as long as the database in X has a clear path to the assets your X projects and events are calling for - it really doesn't care overly much where the linked files actually reside.

(It's surprised me that the files play back perfectly from that USB-2 drive - and I wonder if X is doing some reference movie or maybe proxy access magic under the hood, because I didn't think USB was fast enough for real-time - but it's working fine so I'm not messing with it!)

There have been a couple of times that I've crashed with X seemingly not being able to "talk" to the drive - but as always, a re-boot gets me back into my project with nothing lost.

So I think X is less sensitive to WHERE assets are stored than I'm accustomed to.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Feb 14, 2013 at 7:40:07 pm

Just yesterday I again studied moving and copying Events and Projects.

There's a big difference between organizing Events and Organizing Projects.

To organize an Event means to copy all external (to the Event) media into the Event.

To organize a Project, it only means to copy related Events (or used media) to same hard drive as where the Project lives.

Someone here suggested that render files are moved to the Event when you organize the Event. I don't believe that's true. Render files live in the Project folder.

But, there's no rule that says you HAVE to organize an Event. For me, I keep things in the finder folder for my project like PowerPoints and Word and Excel documents. If I want an Event and its Projects on the same drive I'll also manually copy my work folder as well.

Having a Project that draws from multiple Events that live on other or multiple hard drives presents the same conundrum as the argument for multi-engine airplanes; Yes, if one engine goes out then you have a spare that will get you safely down but it can also be said that having two engines doubles the likelyhood of having an engine failure. Now, of course, two engines are better than one but do you really want your Project crippled because drawing from, say, three drives and three Events triples the chance that one of the drives will fail?

Don Smith

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 14, 2013 at 10:32:55 pm

Don,

I generally agree with your thinking on this with one exception.

In the past, I thought of original assets as the equivalent of tapes and copies.

That's changed to this extent.

Now that I'm working with source CLONES - which is to say Disk Images or Sparse Disks - that paradigm has changed - each clone (no matter where it's stored) once launched will trigger FCP-X to use the available data to repopulate an Event and it's attendant Projects.

This has been transformative for my field footage backup and access processes.

It just doesn't matter as much WHERE X finds a needed asset - what matters is only that it can see the source ID that it's looking for somewhere attached to your system.

I think I mentioned the project I'm currently editing. I've got a timeline that references footage from 3 different drives. If the clips on Drive 3 were to be damaged and go offline. I could launch a clone of that disk image from a totally different drive and X would link right up and go about it's business happily.

This is WAY different from Legacy where finder location was the key to re'linking.

With X finder location is largely unimportant (unless you've messed with something fundamental to the X database like futzing with Project or Event locations in the Movies root folder.

FWIW

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 16, 2013 at 3:42:43 am

I was recently blown away by how little FCP even cares about the particular event even. As long as the files are the same, they can be scattered across unreleated events. Example given -

A producer is roughing stuff at home on X. She has a bunch of events. Kinda like one event per bin. (But hey, shift-f is a lot handier that way!) Anyway, the media is all over too. Some optimized, some linked to folders, etc. She had previously given me much of it, but she's been adding. So there's no sync or matching events. Wasn't a problem.

She brought in the new projects and new media. Aside from having to hunt some down she forgot, I just copied the media to my raid, and dragged in the folders as keyword collections to the one single event I was working with. But I did bring in her projects obviously. Each one of course said all the event was missing. But that's really not an issue if you have the media. No need to relink project files or anything. The project files are linked to the event. I just go to the project settings and modify event references. It instantly tells me that the files are available when I redirect to my event. I point a project there and instantly it's up and running. No individual file relinking.

I was worried because I kept reading about people keeping duplicate events and all that. FCP X projects don't care where the files are. The event keeps track of the media. The project just looks for the event. It'll gladly relink to the files in another event, but you just have to tell it to.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 17, 2013 at 11:36:32 pm

[Bret Williams] " The event keeps track of the media. The project just looks for the event. It'll gladly relink to the files in another event, but you just have to tell it to."

Which is totally consistent with that idea I keep harping on about metadata flow.

If an event is happy, then any project linked to that event is also happy - since the metadata flows through the event and downstream into any and all connected projects.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 18, 2013 at 3:59:20 am

[Don Smith] "Someone here suggested that render files are moved to the Event when you organize the Event. I don't believe that's true. Render files live in the Project folder."

There are both Event render files and Project render files.

Obviously, they pertain to whether or not the rendering happened in the Project or the Event. There can be both.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Feb 18, 2013 at 10:59:26 am

Jeremy..

RE: "There are both Event render files and Project render files."

This is a good example of why I love this forum. I learned something new. Thank you.

I can see how there would be Event render files because you can edit within the Event folder in addition to editing in the Project.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]