FORUMS: list search recent posts

is it 24P ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
keith mottram
is it 24P ?
on Feb 12, 2013 at 6:07:34 pm

I rarely use FCPX, normally avid, so am probably being dumb here, but I am combining some renders which are true 24p and wanted to know if FCPX is treating them at 23.98 or if it is actually 24p.

thanks for the help

Keith

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: is it 24P ?
on Feb 12, 2013 at 6:11:17 pm

[keith mottram] " wanted to know if FCPX is treating them at 23.98 or if it is actually 24p."

This is not an FCP thing, since it is the same on your Avid system they just do not tell you.

In the US 24p has always been timed at 23.976 (rounded to 23.98) due compensate for drop frame TC issue in NTSC.

It is difficult to playback 24.0 fps on most NTSC displays

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

keith mottram
on Feb 12, 2013 at 6:19:15 pm

Hi Gary,

thanks for the quick reply, I can actually work at 23.98 or 24 in my Avid (6.5) obviously this is a somewhat new development. I can also view the footage on my broadcast HD monitor at either frame rate (or indeed any flavour of PAL or NTSC). What I am wondering is when FCPX says 108024p if it is doing anything to the true 24p quicktimes in the timeline- ie retiming them in some way.

thanks for your help,

Keith

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 12, 2013 at 6:26:59 pm

[keith mottram] "I can actually work at 23.98 or 24 in my Avid (6.5) obviously this is a somewhat new development. "

Only on Avid's, every other NLE has done this for awhile now.

23.98fps is the standard for acquisition with most camera systems for NTSC work, even film is is scanned and transferred at 23.98.

That 24.0 stuff will NOT playback on a CRT, cannot be converted to 23.98 or 29.97 in realtime without large amounts of hardware.

[keith mottram] " FCPX says 108024p if it is doing anything to the true 24p quicktimes in the timeline- ie retiming them in some way."

No, FCP as an app has never done anything to the original file unless you overwrite it. (Unlike AMA which can error on ingest of non-native formats if not properly setup).

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

keith mottram
on Feb 12, 2013 at 6:40:49 pm

Thanks for the info Gary, am well aware of the issues with 24p playback on televisions- this is digital only and is at 24p for a reason. It is for the very reasons you have outlined that I posted this question! And yes as someone who had edited on FCP since the days of cinewave I am aware that other NLEs can handle 24p. FCPX being a new beast to me had me worrying that it was treating 24p as 23.98- as we're both aware 23.98 or 23.976 is frequently called 24p.

Thanks again for the clarification,

Keith

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 12, 2013 at 6:36:03 pm

What do you mean by "combining some renders"? FCP X uses project settings for a timeline, which can either be manually or automatically set (based on first clip). Both 23.98 and 24fps are available options. in the settings menu.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

keith mottram
on Feb 12, 2013 at 6:44:07 pm

Hi Oliver,

excuse my ignorance, but where is the settings menu?

Keith

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 12, 2013 at 7:10:51 pm

See attached image. Project library / new project / create settings.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

keith mottram
on Feb 13, 2013 at 2:23:52 pm

Many thanks Oliver

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved