FORUMS: list search recent posts

Backup Strategies

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Sherman
Backup Strategies
on Feb 11, 2013 at 7:41:53 pm

With FCP 7 I had a backup strategy that worked quite well. I have two matched drives - say one called Drive A and another called Drive A Backup. Then when I'm not using the computer, the drives automatically get synced - using the latest modified file to overwrite.

For my workflow this is the absolute best way. It guards against accidental deletion as you have to delete a file in both locations. It guards against drive failure and it allows me to store files in two locations once the projects are finished. And it allows for two people to work with the same material on two different workstations.

I'm basically using the same scheme with FCP X. But the issue is that sometimes X wants to load a project or event from the backup drive, not the original drive. So far I just let it pick which version it wants to open, because I do not want to eject the drive or since then I wouldn't get automated backups. I don't want to rename folders as that will just get messy. I don't suppose there is a way to force X to open the project from the original drive is there. Or exclude certain drives from X.

I'm also curious as to how others are managing backup (I don't consider Raid 5 a backup).

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Backup Strategies
on Feb 11, 2013 at 8:21:38 pm

[Brett Sherman] "So far I just let it pick which version it wants to open, because I do not want to eject the drive or since then I wouldn't get automated backups. I don't want to rename folders as that will just get messy. I don't suppose there is a way to force X to open the project from the original drive is there. Or exclude certain drives from X."

I wouldn't let FCPX simply choose what it feels like using as that and and will cause issues at some point.

Instead of backing up to the root level of the drive, backup to a folder called "FCPX_backups".

This will hide the Events and Projects on the backup drive from FCPX and not cause any confusion.

If you ever need the backup files, then you simply restore the proper folder to the normal FCPX project path.

The manual has a section about this that might be worth reading.

Have a read here: http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/344/16936

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Feb 11, 2013 at 8:40:49 pm

The problem is that even though I call it a "backup" drive. It really is a secondary drive that is often utilized. So to move it into another folder I think would be problematic. I'd always have to remember to put it back before syncing the drives again. And a backup system isn't a backup system if you have to remember to do something.

I'm currently running backups with Versioner Pro. That can be my stop gap if anything goes really haywire. So far I've only had minor annoyances.

But I wish I had some more control over where FCP X puts the project/event and render files. My problem would be solved if I could store project/event files on my Mac HD and store render files on the media drive. Then there would be a single project/event file and I'd never run into conflicts. Not to mention I'd have a viewable library of projects without having to insert drives to figure out where I put something.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 11, 2013 at 8:45:51 pm

[Brett Sherman] "And a backup system isn't a backup system if you have to remember to do something."

Instead of pointing your backup to a root level, you point it to a folder. It's not that hard and has the potential of saving your ass instead of playing with fire. If you read that other thread, the user lost an Event doing something very similar to what you're doing.

[Brett Sherman] "But I wish I had some more control over where FCP X puts the project/event and render files. My problem would be solved if I could store project/event files on my Mac HD and store render files on the media drive. Then there would be a single project/event file and I'd never run into conflicts. Not to mention I'd have a viewable library of projects without having to insert drives to figure out where I put something."

Yep.

But this would not backup the actual Event or Project files.

Make a feature request to Apple. It would be nice to split the render files out to a separate location.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 11, 2013 at 8:59:02 pm

You might look into this:

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/1041-backing-up-final-cut-pro-x-automa...

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Nick Pisarro, Jr.
on May 28, 2013 at 8:57:38 pm

Take a look at my white paper on backup strategies at: http://npassociatesllc.com/backupsforfcp/?afunc=docs and investigate my product at the same domain.

It knows how to backup just the Events and Projects and possibly media and to ignore the other stuff, like render files and transcoded media (in my upcoming release).

Backups for Final Cut Pro came out after this message thread was created.

NickP

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Feb 11, 2013 at 11:25:17 pm

Chronosync will do TimeMachine-like backups of specific folders INTO specific folders. Have cake / eat too.

"Constituo, ergo sum"

Bob Woodhead / Atlanta
CMX-Quantel-Avid-FCP-Premiere-3D-AFX-Crayola
"What a long strange trip it's been...."

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Feb 12, 2013 at 4:53:37 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] The thing is backing up to a separate folder doesn't allow me to work with the backup drive which I do all the time. Now it might sound like a simple thing to just move the content out of the backup folder, but in reality what is going to happen is once in awhile I will forget to move it back. Then when I run my sync, it's not going to backup any changes I've made on the Backup drive. I will not realize it until I don't have both drives with me. And then I'll be SOL. Not to mention it's then going to have to copy duplicate versions of everything from the original drive to the backup drive.

Maybe I am playing with fire, but I don't really see how I could lose everything because I'm running backups with Pro Versioner to a Dropbox account (basically similar to the Backups program Oliver Peters mentioned) Is there something other than the .fcpevent or .fcpproject file that can get messed up that I'm not aware of?

I also have a tertiary backup of events and projects using Synk 7 Pro that does exactly what Bob is suggesting.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 12, 2013 at 5:24:32 pm

[Brett Sherman] "The thing is backing up to a separate folder doesn't allow me to work with the backup drive which I do all the time. "

I don't want to tell you what to do, so I'll tell you what I do.

A backup is just that, a backup. For me, it is not a working copy, it is not a check copy, it is a fail safe.

If the main system goes, the backup becomes essential. I do not use the backup as a main system.

[Brett Sherman] "Maybe I am playing with fire, but I don't really see how I could lose everything because I'm running backups with Pro Versioner to a Dropbox account (basically similar to the Backups program Oliver Peters mentioned) Is there something other than the .fcpevent or .fcpproject file that can get messed up that I'm not aware of? "

There is a possibility that FCPX will get confused as to which group to use (the main or the backup). It is possible that something will get overwritten that you don't want to get overwritten. Or you mistakenly made a change that isn't recoverable.

FCPX is a completely different structure, and it has rules. As I mention, the manual pretty clearly lays it out:

http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/mac/10.0.6/#verb6acb2fb

[Brett Sherman] "I also have a tertiary backup of events and projects using Synk 7 Pro that does exactly what Bob is suggesting."

I am all for backups to the backups, but I don't see how working from a backup as a main system, and copying the backup to the main system helps to keep everything straight.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Feb 12, 2013 at 6:31:40 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "A backup is just that, a backup. For me, it is not a working copy, it is not a check copy, it is a fail safe."

I wish I had that luxury. Many times I need to have two editors utilizing the same drive at the same time. It's not the same FCP X Project but some other media on the same drive. Or transferring cards for project B while working on a project A for a deadline. Or making a DVD of raw footage while editing the program at the same time. There many advantages to this system that I'm not willing to give up at this point.

The idea of the additional backups is to be able to go back in time to an earlier version if something does go haywire or goes missing because there are multiple versions of the fcpproject and fcpevent files stored.

We'll see, maybe disaster will strike at some point and I'll have to change my ways, but right now it has worked well and I'd lose too much efficiency by doing it Apple's way.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 12, 2013 at 8:10:25 pm

Hi, Brett.

Using two drives is one thing, having two identical copies of FCPX databases is another.

I think you have workflow issues to solve, not a backup issue. if I were you, I'd look in to using sparse disk images. Watch here:

http://blogs.creativecow.net/blog/12309/1-setup-fcpx-on-air

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Feb 13, 2013 at 7:37:36 pm

My solution so far, is that I found an AppleScript to automatically mount a specific volume that is ejected. I have it scheduled to do that at night. Then the backup will run. Then in the morning I'll eject the backup drive.

Messy. But it works.

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Apr 6, 2015 at 7:05:07 pm

I use a separate backup set for media and libraries/projects.
I keep a fcparch of each card on a raid5 array. Then a copy of all extracted media on external drives I don't use for editing, stored in a separated location for extra safety against theft or such. I keep current project and currently used media on a RAID0 fast array I use for editing, and synch libraries daily onto another RAID1 array. I feel safe enough this way. If I had to share media through different project I'd rather make multiple copies, but I don't have to do it a lot and I mostly work with AVCHD source material so disk space is never a real issue.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2014 MacBook Pro Retina, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Monitor, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.9.4

Return to posts index

Nick Pisarro, Jr.
on Apr 6, 2015 at 9:13:53 pm

Again, look at my product, Backups For Final Cut Pro at http://npassociatesllc.com/backupsforfcp/ . I've kept it up-to-date to support libraries. It is much more flexible than the FCP X backup feature.

The upcoming release, to be posted soon, will add filtering so you can control what libraries to back up as well as backing up across weird file systems.

NickP

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]