FORUMS: list search recent posts

The quantity of plugins installed affects rendering?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gus Tozzer
The quantity of plugins installed affects rendering?
on Feb 11, 2013 at 7:38:11 pm

Guys, one doubt I have: the quantity of plugins/effects installed in FCPX does affect the render time of clips? How about general apps and softwares installed on computer,they can also affect it in any way? Even using a dedicated external HD (firewire) when I use 4 or 5 effects on a video clip, FCPX becomes quite slow... is that normal? (I use version 10.0.6 - iMac i5 -16 GB of Ram)

Return to posts index

Emiliano Tidona
Re: The quantity of plugins installed affects rendering?
on Feb 12, 2013 at 7:25:18 am

Depends on the effects... Some filters are very GPU thirsty.
Besides a firewire drive may not be fast enought if editing big files.

Return to posts index

Gus Tozzer
on Feb 12, 2013 at 12:15:52 pm

Oh I see... But a big quantity of plugins, even if they have not been used in a specific project, can make the rendering slower (makes the software "heavier")? I mean, one FCPX with only its native effects and a few 3rd party plugins compared with a FCPX with dozens and dozens of plugins (even if these are not used) has the same rendering performance?

By the way, does the firewire affect the effects rendering too? My doubt is, if I don't play the video itself, only apply the effect to the clip and wait to render, the firewire (or faster connection) can have a main role in this process? I thought only the processor and RAM were designated for that. Am I wrong? Forgive so many questions, I'm not an expert user.

Return to posts index

Emiliano Tidona
on Feb 12, 2013 at 12:30:23 pm

Unused plugins should not affect the performances... but if they occupy a lot of space in the HD they could slow down the entire system. I never fill the system HD more than 60%.

RAM/CPU/GPU are important but disk read/write speed is important too and affects the rendered/unrendered/effected/uneffectced clip playback.

In your case the bottleneck could be the HD performance. If you can, try a faster one.
Or maybe you are simply using too much or too heavy effects for your machine.

Return to posts index

Gus Tozzer
on Feb 12, 2013 at 3:04:45 pm

Thank you for the tips Emiliano. Yes, I think I will take a try on a faster hd... And I will also try to free more disk space, both make sense.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]