FORUMS: list search recent posts

set up multiple users on Imacs with external raid

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
set up multiple users on Imacs with external raid
on Feb 10, 2013 at 5:46:15 am

I want to set up computers in a post lab where each computer has multiple accounts in which the media and project folders for FCP X will be stored so that each account has exclusive access to their media and projects. I will be admin for these computers and will use apple desk top to log in each user.

What is the best way to store the media/projects on an external drive raid (thunderbolt pegasus)?

I've read one solution is to move the entire home directory for each account to the external drive.

However my experience with external drives and permissions in the past has been iffy at best.

Have things gotten better? Any advice? This must be an issue for any media lab in which Macs are

shared by different users.

I've also considered pass word protected sparse images of the project/media files. That would mean logging in with one password and then opening the sparse image with another. This can get tedious with 36 computers each of 8 periods. Can this be automated with remote desk top so all gets logged in at once and a numbered sparse image does too?

What I do is I assign students specific computers each period and then have accounts for the number of periods I teach. That way I limit the number of user accounts and passwords to the number of periods.

In this case 8.

Another thought would be to keep the computers logged in and only manage media/project files and all other documents such as scripts in password protected sparse images. If I can open these by using remote desktop I could have one password for all since I'm the only one opening the sparse images.

Would FCP X play nice if other files were kept in the sparse image with the FCP X files?

Students could then be trained to save all work to thee folders with the image. Then unmount the image and their stuff is protected.

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]