FORUMS: list search recent posts

Doubt about Export and Re-Import in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gus Tozzer
Doubt about Export and Re-Import in FCPX
on Feb 9, 2013 at 11:31:26 am

Guys, if I import a video source ( selecting optimized media (which is with proRes) / create a copy on FCPX folder), edit normally as always and then, want to export the material TO REIMPORT IT LATER in other project for further editions, which is the best option to have any kind loss? Export as Master File with: Apple Pro Res 422, Uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:2 or Uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2 ?

For instance, if I export using Apple proRes and Re-import again, may I do it with optimized media selected or don't need it? Is there any loss in this process?

If I use any of the uncompressed formats when export, have to Re-import using Pro Res gain when re-import?

What's te difference between these two uncompressed formats?

Apple Pro Res on export is only used when the work is finished on the final result or I can do it everytime ?

If someone could help me I would be greatful.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Doubt about Export and Re-Import in FCPX
on Feb 9, 2013 at 11:56:49 am

Any of the formats you mentioned will NOT have to be optimised when you re-import to FCPX. I always use ProRes HQ to master although standard ProRes is good enough for most things. You will see no loss from reimporting Prores or ProResHQ. For most people using Uncompressed 8 or 10 bit is a thing of the past

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 9, 2013 at 12:52:59 pm

[Steve Connor] " For most people using Uncompressed 8 or 10 bit is a thing of the past"

Unless you want the best quality and not have to deal with the QT gamma shifts caused by various QT players. And you don't want to be limited to a proprietary codec. FWIW - FCP X does see these as "optimized" and will not convert these to ProRes if you pick "create optimized media".

Plus, right now there is a render bug with third party filters. The only reliable workaround that I've found is exporting to 8-bit uncompressed (not 10-bit).

[Steve Connor] "You will see no loss from reimporting Prores or ProResHQ."

This is generally true to the naked eye, but there is loss and it is measurable. However, as with most high-end codecs, the biggest loss is at the point of the first encoding and it is less through subsequent re-encoding (concatenation) through the same codec.

FWIW - ProResHQ is comparable to HD-D5, ProRes is comparable to HDCAM and ProRes4444 is comparable to HDCAM-SR.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 9, 2013 at 2:21:14 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Unless you want the best quality and not have to deal with the QT gamma shifts caused by various QT players. And you don't want to be limited to a proprietary codec"

He was talking about re-importing into FCPX so the Gamma shift isn't an issue.

Yes 8 and 10 bit uncompressed is technically better quality but whereas most of the broadcasters I work with use to spec it as part of the edit process they all now spec ProRes instead

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Gus Tozzer
on Feb 11, 2013 at 11:54:15 am

Great, thanks to all

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]