FORUMS: list search recent posts

original file had audio...the new one does not (stop forcing my workflow)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam chesbrough
original file had audio...the new one does not (stop forcing my workflow)
on Feb 7, 2013 at 4:03:46 pm

okay apple. This is what I like to do. I like to keep my files organized within their root folders and not just in your software. So when I import video files I choose not to copy the actual file (also because I don't want two versions of the same files in the same folder).

Yes I could keep all of my RAW files elsewhere and "copy" everything when I import, but that doesn't make sense to me since I would rather have a complete working copy of my project (chronosync to drobo 5D nightly)

By keeping my files separate from the "original files" folder (which has NO ORGANIZATION) I risk getting the following error message when trying to relink (also seem to have to relink all the time). Also, do you think that everything is running slower because FCPX is working off of alias (even though the media is on the same drive and the drive is RAID0 3x2TB 400+MB/s R/W

Anyone have any comments about this. "Your workflow is stupid and this is why you should use apple's" is a fine response, but please expand. images: 5402_archive.zip

Macbook Pro Retina: 2.6GHZ i7, 16GB RAM 1600MHz DDR3, GT 650M 1GB RAM

Hackintosh (Sandy Bridge): i5 2500, 16GB 1333MHz DDR3, Nvidia GT640 2GB RAM

OWC 4TB RAID0 (using esata)
Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 (6Gb/s)
Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adapter

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: original file had audio...the new one does not (stop forcing my workflow)
on Feb 7, 2013 at 8:13:53 pm

What is the format/codec of the files that you are having issues with? I've not really had any problems organizing footage at the finder level and then importing without copying in FCPX. My first thought is there may be some compatibility issue with the source footage type. The fact that you have to relink often is a red flag since it shouldn't be necessary unless you're moving the files or altering them in another program between edit sessions.

I'm not going to harass you for your workflow. Different strokes for different folks, but I don't really understand what you meant when you said:

[adam chesbrough] "Yes I could keep all of my RAW files elsewhere and "copy" everything when I import, but that doesn't make sense to me since I would rather have a complete working copy of my project (chronosync to drobo 5D nightly)"

How does allowing FCPX to copy and organize your files prevent you from having a "complete working copy" of your project. Since everything is kept in one place when FCPX organizes things, you just need to copy two folders.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 7, 2013 at 8:36:40 pm

I always keep my files at finder level with no issues, as Andy said give us more details

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Feb 7, 2013 at 11:37:50 pm

I am working with DSLR footage H264 1080 so there shouldn't be a compatibility issue.

I basically meant that I could keep my source files on one drive and then import (and copy source files).

For one job I had multiple events (plural eyes creates a new event when syncing), I then dragged one event onto the other (and selected to merge the events)...all of my source files disappeared. I assumed that it was because they lived in a folder called MEDIA (which is not automatically created by FCPX) within the event folder (within the final cut events root folder).

When I tried to relink the files some worked and some didn't (I got the error message concerning audio). I had to then reimport those and essentially reedit portions of the timeline.

When I get some time I plan to do trouble shooting to find out what final cut does in these types of situations. Where do you guys keep that source media? Do you keep it in the original media folder that is created by FCPX or do you create your own?

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Feb 8, 2013 at 12:04:39 am

I'm not sure (because I don't use it), but it sounds like your relink error might be related to Plural Eyes. I still don't feel like I have your complete workflow. I'm not quite sure how you end up with a lot of events. Does Plural Eyes make a new event for every tape you sync or are you doing this in pieces such that a new event is created each time? Like I said, I don't use Plural Eyes because FCPX's sync feature works well for me.

[adam chesbrough] "Where do you guys keep that source media? Do you keep it in the original media folder that is created by FCPX or do you create your own?"

It depends. As a long time Avid and FCP editor, I'm comfortable with both approaches. If I'm working with new media, especially if it's tapeless, I usually let FCPX keep track of it. It works well and everything stays in one place.

If I'm reusing old material, or something I worked on in FCP 7, or else has a lot of moving parts that are going to more than one place (ie: After Effects, Motion, etc.), then I typically like to organize things myself.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 8, 2013 at 1:08:17 pm

I too am confused. Do they even make Plural Eyes for FCPX? I thought X pretty much covered that with it's own syncing.

I work exactly the same way. 5D h264 footage. I import without copying, transcoding or making proxys. All the media is on my Pegasus TB raid. Gets about 400MB/sec. I make an event and drag all my camera media folders directly onto the event and then I have keyword collections matching the folders. My original files folder is filled with aliases with no structure, yes, but there is absolutely no reason to ever look in there for me so I could really care less. I don't have any link loss or relinking issues.

I think your problem lies with PluralEyes creating some sort of media folders inside the original files folder. Is that by plural eyes design or your choice? You shouldn't me doing any file manipulation in the original files folder.

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Feb 8, 2013 at 3:25:15 pm

yeah that make plural eyes for X; it does a much better job syncing but obviously creates some issues. I imagine all the issues will be fixed in future updates though.

I have the same workflow as you but for some reason things get lost by FCPX. What do you use to backup/archive? I use chronosync.

And for the love of god why doesn't apple add "watch" capabilities to folders. This would probably fix all my issues as I would just be dropping new files and folders in the finder.

Return to posts index

Mari Jenkins
on Feb 8, 2013 at 6:58:57 pm

Having very similar problems where it won't relink footage, also using 5D footage.

Gives me errors like "new file has audio" or "not long enough to cover clip"

Then, with a lot of those clips that came magically unlinked, a lot just ended up blank black video. No one seems to have heard of this error or offer any help with it, just that "yeah, it doesn't always work"

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 9, 2013 at 2:19:25 pm

You have to relink all the time? That seems odd to me.

I've never used Chronosync, but does it modify source files at all?

Also, you can keep other folders in the Event folder.

I keep my camera original footage along side the default fcpx folders with no issues. This makes backing up/archiving/restoring easier.

So, I have HardDrive > Final Cut Events > "Event Folder" created by FCPX > Footage folder created by me

Or

Hard Drive > SAN Location > Final Cut Events > "Event Folder" created by FCPX > Footage folder created by me

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 10, 2013 at 11:16:00 pm

Reminds me of when I first started playing with Premiere. I'd open up the footage from an X or 7 project and play around. Then I'd go back to the X or 7 project and the media would be all wack. Wouldn't relink or would be offline, etc. Premiere was obviously adding some data to each clip it touched. I'd assume Chronosync does the same and X is very particular.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]