FORUMS: list search recent posts

5D import problems

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Powell
5D import problems
on Feb 7, 2013 at 12:09:28 am

I have a problem where when I import from a 5d, where the folders will not import as keywords and the clip name will not import. Rather, I get the creation date as a name, import errors that say certain files are still referencing the camera, and the the file names that do import show up in the metadata as "original name" which of course is not an option to use as a column (very unsophisticated btw). The combination of those problems means there is no way for me to look down the list of clips and check which ones didn't import.

In addition the files inside FCP don't reference the originals from the folder. Rather they reference new clips in an "original media" folder. I'm not sure if this is this has something to do with the fact that I created proxies or not, but again it makes it impossible for me to check that all the files were imported (which they were not).

I'm curious if this has anything to do with the fact that I am importing avchd camera footage as well, and if perhaps that is screwing with the 5D operation. Or is this something happens with all 5D imports.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to isolate the 5D footage and trash it to start over. I created a smart collection, but it is not pulling up all of the 5D footage in the event.

I really miss bins.

Return to posts index

David Powell
Re: 5D import problems
on Feb 7, 2013 at 3:15:01 am

It appears the problem was using the import window. 5D clips have to be dropped in by dragging the folder into a keyword collection to act proper at least on my system.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 8, 2013 at 1:16:31 pm

You miss bins? I thought that is the one singular function of FCP X that the world has agreed on. Keyword collections are just as functional as bins and then some. A LOT some really. Not much comparison actually.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Feb 8, 2013 at 7:11:41 pm

They have similar functions and have greater function in areas but they are not equally functional. Keywords are restrictive in that I cannot have multiple keywords open at the same time. Secondly, keywords ruin the function if match frame.

I like to organize my footage so that when I match frame a clip it goes to a specific group of clips that I know are together. Instead, match frame takes me out of my keyword collection and forces me back to the event level.

I find this type of function a nuisance. In short I want to be able to isolate a clip in a group. I don't want the clip completely isolated. Another example where it takes 3 steps to do what used to take one. 1. Match frame. 2. Find keyword. 3. Click keyword. 4. Find that clip in the keyword collection as the specific selection of clip has now been lost.

That's 4 steps. Yes keywords hold more searchable data, but they function completely different from bins just as story lines function different from tracks, though they are the replacement of tracks. Yes you gain magnetism, but you lose XYZ ability that tracks provided. And when I go to trim I find myself missing tracks, clip colors, marker colors etc

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 8, 2013 at 7:35:06 pm

[David Powell] "That's 4 steps. Yes keywords hold more searchable data, but they function completely different from bins just as story lines function different from tracks, though they are the replacement of tracks. Yes you gain magnetism, but you lose XYZ ability that tracks provided. And when I go to trim I find myself missing tracks, clip colors, marker colors etc"

Then PPro might be a better fit for you ?

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Feb 8, 2013 at 9:01:02 pm

I don't know enough about PP to know whether it would be or not. I have been considering it. I've spent the last 4 months diving deep into FCPX and have been using it exclusively for a specific client who also has it. Using X gives me wiggle room, so that he can make changes down the road if need be since he has FCPX.

Also, I'm not sure what I would love hate about PP and to be honest, I've spent so much time (lost $$$) trying to get efficient on X that I want to make it worth it. I think X has a lot of merit. But in the name of paradigm shift some cool things are lost forever like match framing. And in the name of simplicity customizable features that have nothing to do with paradigm shifting (clip colors, track colors, colored markers, gap detection, peak indicators, custom window layout ) are lost until/unless apple decides to bring them back.

And imo, I don't think theres anything wrong with missing any of these.

I'm on a 2011 Imac 27 with AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB, so I'm not sure that I'll get the performance I need to playback h.264 and avchd in multicam without mercury engine. I'll have to test. For now I'm sticking with FCPX and trying best as I can to get quicker.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 8, 2013 at 9:54:18 pm

[David Powell] "And imo, I don't think theres anything wrong with missing any of these."

Of course not, but it's worth a look at PPro, I use FCPX most of the time, but I occasionally use PPro as well

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 10, 2013 at 10:57:59 pm

Sorry to jump back in at this later date. But I think you make a great point about match frame back to the correct keyword collection. But I don't think that is as much an issue with the paradigm shift as it is simply unimplemented features. In fact, the function you mention wasn't available in legacy until version 3 or 4 if I remember right. All there was was match frame(f), which brought it up in the viewer. And no, you can't open 2 keyword collections at once, but you can open the compilation of 2 keyword collections by highlighting them both. A very powerful tool. You can also get a view of ALL the media in your entire project at once.

Shift F in legacy broke pretty easily as well. If someone sent you a project or you copied a project into your main project, the relationship was easily broken. Not so in X. If a project file relates to an event, then it relates to an event. This is essentially a problem that has been fixed by the event / project relationship in X and the fact that projects aren't contained in an event.

I'm not sure how they can do it, but if the timeline data can simply remember the event and keyword collection it came from, then they surely can add a modifier or option to have it open shift-f in the appropriate keyword collection. I hope!

Your other points are certainly valid too. I hope that like premiere they allow multiple event windows to be open. For example, in premiere you can have the same bin open twice. Each bin has it's own sort of navigation. Seems it would be simple enough in X.

And color markers, sync markers, all that stuff in the timeline that we all miss hopefully will gradually make it's way back. Most of those features weren't available in the early years of legacy either.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Feb 11, 2013 at 1:24:21 pm

Thanks for chiming in Brett,

I know those weren't there in the early days, but they did become an intricate part of editing for me that I feel like they should be a given.

When I say the "source match frame" or "find bin" (as its called in Avid)is gone due to paradigm shift, its because keyword collections are just that. Which is why I say they don't replace or function as bins. I miss bins because the bin held a group of clips in a more organic way. Sometimes I dont remember which clip I'm looking for specifically but I know it was in the bin with a certain other clip. I guess I have to better organize with keywords than with bins or find a different approach.

I'm sure all those other features will eventually come back, but you don't realize how much you relied on them until they're gone.

I'm going to start reading up more on different organization methods in the meantime to ensure I'm getting all the power out of keywords that I should be.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]