FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cannot Render or Export a 1h20m timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Bayliss-Smith
Cannot Render or Export a 1h20m timeline
on Feb 5, 2013 at 11:59:14 pm

Hi folks,

I'm having problems rendering my project its a 1h20min documentary.

Everything worked fine on my computer at home running Mountain Lion.

The problems only started now I'm now working on my friends Lap Top running Lion. My project crashed so many times I fear I have corrupted it

I deleted all the project render files as I thought they were causing an issue and now I can't re-render it always hangs with beach ball. I thought it was lack of ram on my MAcBookPro as I only had 4GB so I bumped it up to 16GB but it still doesn't work. Sometimes beach ball sometimes I just get an error message saying run out of RAM.

I also can't export, hangs with beach ball after 1%

I have copied and pasted all clips into fresh new project but new project has same problem
I have trashed preferences (which seemed to help but it still hung up on 78% rendered, twice now)
I am using digital heaven subtitle x plugin in parts of the project

Mac OSX 10.7.5 16GB RAM 2.4 GHz intel i5

Will updating to Mountain Lion help?
Do I even need to render before export?
I have read that sometimes image files can cause problems how do I identify what part of the project is causing issues.

Any ideas much appreciated I need to export this project soon

Return to posts index

T. Payton
Re: Cannot Render or Export a 1h20m timeline
on Feb 6, 2013 at 12:25:48 am

Bummer.

This may be a silly question, but what happens if you go back to your mountain lion computer?

You don't need to render before exporting. What if you try to export in say 20 minute sections. Does that work?

You mentioned you are using subtitle x. Have you tried to disable it and see if rendering/exporting works?

Are you on the same version of fcpx on both machines?

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 6, 2013 at 2:38:13 am

I just did a very long project export (window timecode dubs of about 3 hours of DSLR field footage) and had some processing problems as well.

First, it just wouldn't work on my MacPro system. Just not enough horsepower.

I moved it to my more modern laptop and got better results, but I still had some issues.

When I tried to both transcode AND export (making a smaller version re-compressed into H-264 in a smaller screen size, the project choked on an overnight export to the desktop.

In the end, what worked was exporting a version that was IDENTICAL to my timeline settings so that there were no re-sizing or transcoding processes gumming up the works. It was slow, (4 hours) but it worked. Then I was able to take THAT file and export a smaller version using Quicktime.

The whole process reinforced my feeling that X really LOVES the most modern hardware you can toss at it, and also loves lots of ram and hard drive space. It seems to want elbow room and power under the hood if you're going to work with long, large files.

I base that on how much better things went when I moved from the MacPro (4 year old technology) to my MacBook Pro (1.5 year old technology.)

Made me think about considering one of the new zippy iMacs or Retina MBPs. Something I'd probably do if we weren't all waiting to see what the "new 2013 Mac Pro" that Tim Cook promised ends up looking like.

My experience, anyway. Take it for what it's worth.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

James Bayliss-Smith
on Feb 6, 2013 at 1:50:21 pm

[T. Payton] "what happens if you go back to your mountain lion computer"

Haven't tried, it's in Beijing I'm in the UK

[T. Payton] "You don't need to render before exporting"

I thought not, I'll just give up on rendering anything it seems to cause me problems all the time. I heard it is even quicker to export without render. Why is this?

[T. Payton] "What if you try to export in say 20 minute sections. Does that work"

I'll give it a bash tonight and report back

[T. Payton] "You mentioned you are using subtitle x. Have you tried to disable it and see if rendering/exporting works?"

How would one disable a plugging short of deleting all my subtitles?

[T. Payton] "Are you on the same version of fcpx on both machines?"

Yes

[Bill Davis] "n the end, what worked was exporting a version that was IDENTICAL to my timeline settings so that there were no re-sizing or transcoding processes gumming up the works. It was slow, (4 hours) but it worked. Then I was able to take THAT file and export a smaller version using Quicktime."

Tried exporting at Full Res no joy

I'll keep you folks posted. My friends a bit reluctant to let me update his computer to Mountain Lion as he once killed a computer updating it's OS. Would this help or should it run on latest Lion?

All the best and thanks for your advice

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Feb 6, 2013 at 7:10:47 pm

James,

Sorry you are having trouble. Troubleshooting an export is a drag.

Before I answer your questions, you mentioned that you got to 78% rendered. How did you do that? What happened after it got to 78%, did all the render files become erased? Have you tried rendering in sections instead of the whole thing? Have you thought about the possibility that your drive may be bad?

[James Bayliss-Smith] "I heard it is even quicker to export without render. Why is this?"

That was true before 10.0.6. Before 10.0.6 only the CPU was used for timeline rendering but the CPU & GPU was used for export. After 10.0.6 both CPU & GPU are used for rendering and export. However, in some circumstances it is faster to export a lowres version of a project than render a full res.

[James Bayliss-Smith] "How would one disable a plugging short of deleting all my subtitles?"

Just move the Digital Heaven folder out of the Movies/Motion Templates/Generators folder. It won't effect your timeline. To be extra safe dupe your project or event db (the ones called currentversion) and then disable that title. BUT. don't do that quite yet because...

I have a feeling it is the DH Subtitle that is the problem, so why not try exporting the whole thing or sections without the "Titles" role, or whatever role you have the subtitles assigned. (Therefore if you don't have them all assigned to a role do that first). Then in the share dialog box choose "Roles as Multitrack Quicktime Movie" and then in the video section uncheck "Titles" or your role.

James, is this making sense?

(BTW. I'm only thinking it is DH Subtitles not because there is a flaw with it but I've seen lots of complicated motion filters/titles/generators cause some problems.)

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Feb 6, 2013 at 8:58:56 pm

I just finished a project with a 2hr40 timeline. No problems rendering or exporting but I always do pretty much what Bill did - export as ProRes at the timeline resolution the re-encode elsewhere.

Just a couple of thoughts...

1. Have you tried exporting via Compressor?

2. have you tried cutting and pasting the current project into a new one? It sounds to me like something's corrupted in the project so creating a new one may make a difference.

3. You might try deleting your render files then choosing a different render format from the default in your project settings.

Those would be my first three go-to options if I were in the same situation.

Cheers
Jeff K

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

James Bayliss-Smith
on Feb 10, 2013 at 2:13:06 pm

Thanks Gentleman, I nailed it

The culprit was one of FCPX's own titles that corrupted. As soon as I deleted it everything was fine. I found it by cut and pasting half the project into another time line. Trying to export that fine so I isolated it to first half. Cut that int o quarters etc etc until I got down to 1/64th of my film.

It was right at the beginning hence hanging on 1 percent every time I tried to export. I haven't tried to render the project yet will try

James

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Feb 11, 2013 at 5:33:35 pm

Can you figure out if it is a font or the title itself? If it is the title itself that is corrupted, does it play, but just not render? Weird.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

James Bayliss-Smith
on Feb 12, 2013 at 11:25:18 pm

I just deleted it and now I'm using the same one but with a different font so I don't really know what exactly happened

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Feb 13, 2013 at 7:51:33 pm

James,

So is everything good? You go the show out? Did you end up rendering the whole thing or just export?

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Derek Robinson
on Feb 19, 2013 at 4:15:42 am

This thread has given me some hope. I am an amateur at this stuff. I have never had trouble exporting anything out of fcpx until a recent 13 minute cheesy home video, 19 titles, 10 added music files, 50 different transitions between pictures, one motion template that I changed to a video file, two free effects from FCP.CO . I have tried to export to Apple TV settings 1280x720 multiple times with hours of rendering and me canceling or just coming back in the morning to find nothing in the share monitor and no output file. I have rebooted, deleted share folder in FCP , deleted all render files by menus , deleted render folder on hard drive, bought compressor but same results. I have made one new project and it exports fine. I removed the third party effects but not help....

Now, after reading this I will try outputting to full pro res. if this doesn't work I will try exporting ( share) the second have of video as per this thread. Experts like yourself help more than just yourself when you post. So just wanted to say thank you in a long winded way. Der

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Feb 19, 2013 at 5:24:30 am

Hours of rendering? Share monitor? That doesn't sound good. What version of FCP X are you on? Version 10.0.6 and after uses the CPU & GPU to render and it is much faster. Also, the share monitor was dropped in 10.0.6 and is only used for Compressor. Try exporting without compressor if you are on an older version of FCP X. Plus there is no need to render before exporting.

Although 10.0.4 and 10.0.5 are pretty stable (I made projects much more complicated that what you are describing) unless you are dependent on some third party plugins that have trouble with the latest version of FCP X, update to 10.0.7.

Also you might have a problem with the drive that your event/project lives. Try sharing to a different drive, it might make a difference.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Derek Robinson
on Feb 19, 2013 at 5:43:21 am

Thanks for response. I am using 10.0.7. I found one more plugin I got from FCP.co and removed it . Re-rendered and it worked. Everything is perfect except on effect with four pictures are empty for 3 seconds, I guess something I missed when removing effects. But it's just a home video so I am happy I got everything else. I removed the project and event to my "do not load folder". I never want to see that project again, just the final video on Apple TV .

I will be very careful of plugins I get free from noe on. I have used many plugin effects in past from fcp.co, especially a photo album and was pleases.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]