FORUMS: list search recent posts

fcpx moving project with compound clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Polen
fcpx moving project with compound clips
on Feb 5, 2013 at 4:35:00 pm

So I am trying to move a project to another computer. Project contains compound clips. When I move the project following Apples directions, copy project command, or copy everything at finder level I have issues.
The big issue is compound clips. After the move/copy the compound clip shows as offline. I cannot step into the compound clip anymore, will not open on another timeline. I try to relink project files, but the clip does not appear in the window that lists offline or missing media. Stumped. Any ideas? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: fcpx moving project with compound clips
on Feb 5, 2013 at 6:08:37 pm

See if it helps to "break apart items" first - for the compound clips. This eliminates any compounds in the project. Since compounds are now stored in the event after the most recent updates, these probably are seen as offline, because you didn't also move the event.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Feb 5, 2013 at 9:42:50 pm

Haven't had a chance to look for a solution yet but I just ht the same problem this morning when trying to archive a project. I told FCPX to duplicate the project to a new drive and told FCPX to duplicate the project + used clips - all clips.

The result was a duplicate of the project but all compound clips were offine. The whole point here is to archive my project in it's final state so breaking apart clip items isn't an answer - There are 50+ compound clips and other compound clips inside those compound clips.

In my case, there was also a problem with the media while the project was being set up and there are in some cases 3 or 4 duplicates of some clips so I want to leave those extra copies behind when I archive.

So what is the best way to archive/copy/move a project like that? I don't remember FCPX having that sort of issue with compound clips before...

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Jeff Polen
on Feb 6, 2013 at 12:59:14 am

Good call Oliver, breaking the compound apart works, but that defeats the purpose. They are now just clips on the timeline like any other. I also noticed that any custom titles do not transfer properly, they too show offline and will not reconnect despite having the custom title motion file on both computers. I also copied the event at finder level and the compound clips do not work on the new computer. Useless to me as it is now, the point was to work on the road and home. I cannot waste time breaking the compounds and rebuilding every time I change computers.

Return to posts index

Michael Lebor
on Aug 19, 2013 at 10:23:07 pm

Dear Jeff,

Did you ever find a solution to this?

I was so confident about moving computers that I left the country with a complete project/event contained in a Disk Image on an external hard rive - I have now arrived and the compound clips are offline... short of flying back I have no idea what to do...

Anyone out there have an answer?

Thanks loads!

Michael

Return to posts index

Jeff Polen
on Aug 20, 2013 at 12:36:20 pm

I have had no luck and given up on the issue. Sorry.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]