FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem importing events/projects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonas Riefenstahl
Problem importing events/projects
on Feb 4, 2013 at 9:03:46 am

Hello!

When my HDD ran out of storage a few days ago, I decided to just move everything to an external HDD. I also use Premiere Pro for editing, and I sometimes move project files and folders to my external HDD, and then I can edit from the external HDD if I need any changes.

Without any further investigation (stupid, I know) I just moved all of my folders with projects, events and clips linked to FCP X to my external HDD, and today when I needed to export a new version of an old project, it wouldn't let me open it. I just get an error message saying "The document “CurrentVersion.fcpevent” could not be opened. ".

What can I do, and am I even doing something wrong? I've read that there is a function to move projects built in FCP X, but it doesn't work for me as it never finds any other storage devices.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, some of these projects are WAY too big re-edit, and I really really ned them.

Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Problem importing events/projects
on Feb 4, 2013 at 7:27:59 pm

There is a specific file structure that FCPX needs in order to be able to be used.

The hard drive shouldn't be an afp shared drive, or if you are using an afp shared drive, you will need to create sparse disk images to overcome the afp limitation.

For non SAN external drives, the File Structure is like this:

Root > Final Cut Events > "NameOfEventFolder"

WHen moving an Event, you need to move the "NameOfEventFolder" in to a folder named "final Cut Events".

The same rules go for Projects, but they are in the FInal Cut Projects folder.

You cannot move the "CurrentVersion" files and move them by themselves.

You don't double click the CurrentVersion file, rather, you open FCPX and as long as everything is in the proper file path, the Events and Projects will show up in the appropriate Browsers.

FCPX's file structure is unlike Pr, so it does take some getting used to.

[Jonas Riefenstahl] "I've read that there is a function to move projects built in FCP X, but it doesn't work for me as it never finds any other storage devices."

If using afp storage, you'll need to use a sparse disk image or symbolic link.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]